Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Carrageenan in pet food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by shingigz, Mar 7, 2019.

1. shingigz

shingigz PetForums Member

Edited for legal/confidentiality reasons, but Lily's Kitchen uses a very small amount of undegraded carrageenan in its food.

and says that:

Carrageenan is common in many pet and human foods, though it is not a legal requirement that it is declared.

#1 shingigz, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would not feed a food with carrageenan added. I am sorry to hear one of the brands well liked in the UK is using this harmful additive. And watch out for agar-agar, which many companies have started using to replace carrageenan once people started to realize how bad it is. It's no better.

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/why-carrageenan-can-be-dangerous-to-your-pet/

https://littlebigcat.com/nutrition/carrageenan-a-common-pet-food-additive/

Researchers have discovered that carrageenan triggers the body to produce a cytokine (an intercellular messenger molecule) called Tumor Necrosis Factor alpha (TNF-⍺). This molecule stimulates inflammation, but also promote apoptosis (cell death). These opposing functions help maintain balance in the immune system, and they also play an crucial role in defense against pathogenic organisms such as bacteria.

On the other hand, TNF-⍺ is thought to be a causal factor in many chronic inflammatory diseases, such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), asthma, and autoimmune diseases, and cancer.

All types of carrageenan stimulate the production of TNF-⍺.

A number of foods (available in the US which is where I am, can't speak for UK) over the years have eliminated it, for the reasons stated in these articles. Many more make these same claims that Lily's is making. That is is okay.

it isn't.

If you must feed some foods with carrageenan, try to feed equally or more foods without..

#2 lorilu, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    TriTri and Laura_&_Cats like this.
  3. shingigz

Thanks lorilu. I do rotate. My aim was to let the LK company know that pet owners who know a thing or two about nutrition are not recommending LK on well-known and influential forums due to carrageenan, and put that ball in their court.

TriTri and lorilu like this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes, that is good! And that is how some companies (at least in the US) have come to remove carrageenan from their foods. Stay on them! :)

TriTri and Forester like this.
  5. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

Oh dear! I was just considering trying mine on this, after it appeared to be one of the better UK brands... Won't bother now!

I really wish they'd stop sneaking weird stuff into otherwise decent food! :mad: I had an issue with Grau containing cassia gum recently too, which my girl didn't get on with! I believe that is also used for 'thickening' purposes, as sounds to be the case with carrageenan...

Guessing I'm still safe with Animonda Carny and such, can't seem to see anything dodgy in there!

The pet food situation in the UK is shocking, it makes me really mad! I spent a year living in France with my Domino and he had great quality, well-priced food from the local supermarket! :Meh

6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

If you're happy with LK prices, try the Miamor pate range from ZP. The tin pate is "looser" , some almost mousse (but can't remember which flavours) whereas the sachet pate has a fine firm texture

Laura_&_Cats likes this.
  7. Laura_&_Cats

Yeah, I've thought about trying those too, will add some to my next order. :Happy At the moment they eat AC and Smilla on a daily basis, and I swap out the Smilla for something more exciting every few days - they've had Catz Finefood, Wild Freedom, MAC's and Feringa so far.

I was looking for something in a smaller tin/packet with a slightly different consistency as a 'treat food' (but complete, so I can switch it for one of their meals and not end up with a full open tin), and was also looking for something I could buy locally in case I ever struggle to order in time, etc. LK seemed to fit the bill on both... How on earth would we feed our cats without zooplus though?! o_O

8. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Another good one to try is Animonda Vom Feinsten for adult cats. Mine love it and the megapack works out quite reasonable

Laura_&_Cats likes this.
  9. Laura_&_Cats

Another one I'd planned to try, glad your cats would recommend it! :D

Megapacks are good - I do like to stock up! :Happy 2019-03-01-19-13-30-421.jpg

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

But start with a trial pack! You don't want loads of food clogging up space if they won't eat it:oops:

TriTri likes this.
  11. Annealise

Annealise PetForums Junior

So if Carrageenan doesn’t have to be legally declared on products, this Is probably contained in other cat food that we are unaware of!!! It’s enough to make me feed my kitten raw food.....

God knows what the really cheap pet food contains!

#11 Annealise, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    TriTri likes this.
  12. shingigz

Those were exactly my thoughts... that maybe all cat food, not just the cheap ones, contains either carrageenan or a similar thickener, otherwise maybe they would also have a watery consistency.

Laura_&_Cats likes this.
  13. Laura_&_Cats

Yes, worrying, and maybe worth making some enquiries... It seems that, so far, we know LK uses carrageenan as a thickener, Grau Gourmet Grain-Free uses cassia gum... Anyone have good enough German to send some emails?!

14. shingigz

You can just send them in English. Be brief and to the point. Many German's have good English skills. Which foods do you have in mind? I don't mind sending an email - it only takes minutes, eg:

Hello,

Please can you tell me the FULL ingredient list in x? My cat has a very sensitive digestion with some food allergies and intolerances. I would also like to know what thickening agents are used in x.

Danke dir,

X.

#14 shingigz, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Torin. and Laura_&_Cats like this.
  15. Laura_&_Cats

Yes, perfect! I'm a linguist by trade, so feel some professional pressure to make an effort with the language lol... German isn't one of my languages, though - it would be a handy one to pick up for cat purposes I guess! :D

I feed Animonda Carny and Smilla as their main foods at the moment, alongside some of the other zooplus ones on occasion - Catz Finefood, Wild Freedom, Feringa, MAC's... I feel a copy-paste job coming lol. :Happy

16. shingigz

I've just contacted Smilla. Animonda Carny is hard to find. I found their kontact form, but it won't let me enter anything in it.

17. Laura_&_Cats

I emailed Smilla too lol, also Animonda, will report back if I hear anything!

Will work through the others I'm feeding, too. :D

TriTri and shingigz like this.
  18. Laura_&_Cats

Also emailed re Catz Finefood and Feringa - fun fact, Smilla and Feringa appear to be made by the same company, hadn't realised that! :D

Not been able to track down contact details for Wild Freedom or MAC's as yet.

19. Laura_&_Cats

And the award for first reply goes to Catz Finefood! :D (emphasis mine)

"Thank you for your message.

You can find the detailed ingredients for each variety on our homepage like here for example:

https://www.catzfinefood.de/detail-catz-finefood-classic-no-3-gefluegel/

Our catz finefood only contains natural gelatine as a thickener.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us."

:)

Saffy Cat, Annealise and shingigz like this.
  20. Laura_&_Cats

Not what I wanted to hear - this is the response from Animonda! I've emailed for some clarification (e.g. is it included in all ranges, etc.)...

Good Morning,
    we do have a lot of products containing one animal protein only.
    We are using carrageenan.

Best regards,

Your animonda-Team

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice