Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

carpet

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by PrettyKittyMylo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. PrettyKittyMylo

PrettyKittyMylo PetForums Member

Mylo has been a buggar and scratched up the carpet to my living and dinning room as i have to shut the doors of a night time.
    Dinning room door is shut due to having building work done.
    Can anyone advise how i can stop Mylo doing this? as hes now started doing it under the bed in the bedroom.

thankks x

Posted from Petforums.co.uk App for Android

2. brianmf

brianmf PetForums Member

In my experience, there is no way to stop a cat that has a carpet ripping tendency. We have a 9-year old siamese (Max) who does it despite all our efforts to stop him. His half-brother (Sam) is no trouble at all and only rips the scratching board. Max though rips the board and the carpets. He seems to be totally deaf if we shout at him when he's in a ripping session. we've tried squiting a water spray at him but that only works till the next time and risks making a mess.
    My daughter had an ordinary moggy that ripped the back out of a brand new sofa.
    If anyone has any bright ideas, I too would be interested to hear but I don't have any great hopes.

3. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

just a thought - i have wood floors, but i take my kitties to my parents at xmas :eek: i bring scratch mat & post - and feliway spray them
    also my folks had just had new carpet in one room & had leftover roll - i took out the roll and put it where mine had hinted was a scratch point - catnip spray & feliway on that - they used the roll :D

worth a go :)

4. Ian B

Ian B PetForums VIP

#3 cat, Max, is a lifelong carpet scratcher ripper, and this, along with his dislike of my neighbours dog, is the main reason they didn't object when he decided to adopt me, better my carpets being full of holes than theirs.

Orange peel, or any citrus peel will do, placed in any fav scratching spot works if you can put up with the house looking untidy with peel scattered about. There are various anti scratch sprays available, but the few I've tried had little effect, certainly less than putting pure, neat lemon juice down, but even this is proven less effective than peel.

For all Max seems dead set on digging down to Australia when he's in one of these moods, the damage he's caused pales against that my #1 cat, Bola, caused to the dining room carpet after I accidentally locked him in overnight. He'd been determined to, and damn near succeeded, in digging his way out under the door. I could have cried when I saw the state of the carpet in the morning, but it's taught me to make sure no cats are in any room if I'm going to close the door at night.

Ian

5. PrettyKittyMylo

Thanks for the ideas, ive been and bought some spray which will hopfully help if not i will try the orange peel.
    It wouldnt work for me with the water spray as he is only doing it when im not in or im in bed alseep the little minx.

6. brianmf

brianmf PetForums Member

Unfortunately, we have fitted carpets in every room and our Max is quite happy to scratch anywhere that takes his fancy. The scratching board is just one of those places, yet Sam never scratches anywhere else.

7. Tao2

Tao2 PetForums VIP

We have a scratch monster but he goes for new woodwork and loo roll over carpet. I tried clipping his claws a little but they reappeared Wolverine-style within a day or 2. Next we tried Beaphar cat repellent but it dissolved the varnish (he was scratching new stair posts and spindles, very expensive, and OH had spent a whole week staining and varnishing them...). At this point cat was in dog house (don't worry, was a virtual dog house we don't actually have a dog). Next, with little hope except of shutting up OH for a while, tried Feliway spray. Result! You are supposed to spray it for 30 days before seeing results but Wolverine only scratched once more before giving up completely. Worth a try, you just gve the problem area 6 squirts a day.

Broccoli did I misread your post? It seemed like you were using Feliway completely differently.

#7 Tao2, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. PrettyKittyMylo

Ive been using the feliway spray on my blinds in the lounge as he has been chewing on them which has reduced him from doing that but hasnt stopped him. I have been spraying the carpet with it to every night but he just ignored it.
    I've bought the same spray as you now so i'll try that tonight.

9. Tao2

Tao2 PetForums VIP

Oh no! Thought that might be the answer. If you're using the Beaphar spray test it on a hidden area first. I have no idea if it works or not, haven't dared use it since I discovered its' varnish-melting action!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice