Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Carpet munching dog

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by r_neupert, Jun 26, 2009.

1. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Hello! I love the fact i've found this forum, so i'm going to drain your brains again! Yay!

I mentioned in another post about my dogs near death experience with her new favourite food - Carpet!

Since the incident i've installed a baby gate in my house to limit the areas she can destroy. But my house is a logistical nightmare - it's an upside down house, so downstairs i have a bedroom (with access to the garden), hallway and bathroom, upstairs i have an open plan lounge and kitchen. Currently Indy has the run of the downstairs hallway, stairs and kitchen - with the baby gate blocking off the lounge.

I'm wondering now, since carpet munching seems to be prevelant, whether it'd be wise to now limit her to the kitchen only; by installing a babygate at the top of the stairs. My only concern is whether the area she could be potentially limited to is too small - kitchen floorspace is about 2.5m x 1.5m also a square inbetween the kitchen and lounge of about 1mx1m. I don't have a tape measure, so i can't tell you how big Indy is - but she's about 10cm taller than the average border collie.

Other stuff to note - she has a taste for anti chew sprays (any other home solutions people can think of would be cool, but the brands we have access to are yummy apparently). We are home with Indy 4 days a week, and the days we are at work, she is left for 8 hours in total, with a break up of 2 x1hr lunchbreaks each day where she is played with and toileted etc. She also gets 3 long walks a day.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I assume she only chews when you are out?

Are you against using a crate/cage at all?

3. r_neupert

When we first got her she had a pen, maybe we didn't persevere with it for long enough, but she didn't seem to get on with it.

I think we may have gone too far down the line now, she's 10 months (today! Happy birthday!) and never been caged, so although i was originally up for it, i am less so now. She's also very strong, so i'd worry initially about a cages integrity, and whether she'd be doing herself damage and more stress from it.

She chews stuff quite a bit, but mainly when we're out or oblivious to what she's getting up to (she snuck into the bedroom this morning and had a nibble at some headphones)

#3 r_neupert, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its never too late to introduce a crate if you wish to try that again. If you get a quality one, they will hold even the most determined of dogs. You might have to introduce it gradually so that she doesnt find it a stressful experience.

Have you tried leaving her with various things she can chew? Like a food filled kong, or a treat dispensor?

I think its safer for both you and her that you limit the areas she has access to. So the kitchen would be a good idea.

5. r_neupert

Considering we can't be with her everyday, we really do try hard to make her as happy as we can - we have a cheese and treat filled kong, that gets frozen, then the frozen kong gets frozen into a block of ice... i think that'd make me eat carpet though!!

We also leave toys out, but we only limit it to 3 in total and rotate so she doesn't get the same 3 everyday.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Hoefully its just a phase shes going through. Limiting her access would be that best thing until she grows out of it (fingers crossed).

Do you know if she suffers from SA?

7. r_neupert

If it's a scheduled leave - i.e. "bye indy, going to work", she's fine, she won't bark and she'll wait on the stairs until we go. If i pop out to the shops for 10 minutes she'll have a bit of a whinge at first, but then stop.

She'll doesn't bark during the day - in fact before the gate was there, she'd just sit and look out the window, the neighbours all comment on her just sitting and watching. Maybe she's waiting for us though? I'd be suprised if it was SA knowing her personality, i think it's a case of boredom tbh...

9/10 times the house will be fine... there's just the concern that she'll get some more carpet and we won't be as lucky this time.

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

She sounds an angel, apart from the chewing.

Does sounds like boredom, chewing a carpet is better than doing nothing.

Not sure what else to suggest, as it sounds like you are doing all that you can. Mine never chewed thankfully.

9. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

I would also be interested to know if anyone has any suggestions on anti -chew sprays/lotions that work. Our bulldog pup seems to like them too and it actually makes him worse not better!!:rolleyes:

10. r_neupert

I came home and Indy had chewed the anti chew can....! How rubbish is that!!

I only have a Pets at Home and a market stall here with doggy stuff - both hold the same brands, and neither work. Have heard about bitter apple, but not seen any on sale, also heard about chilli sauce... but i'm holding back on that just now ;)

11. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

Yes - I've heard of bitter apple which our friend in Canada said is brilliant but I haven't been able to find any here.

12. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

13. r_neupert

By Ms. R. Farwell (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

Didn't work for our dog. She carried on licking, didn't seem to mind the taste at all.

Haha!! Maybe i shouldn't bother!! Indy eats rawhide cigar sticks, which i think are pretty similar?

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

The chilli won't work. Next door tried it with their staff x pup and he just licked it all off!

If you do consider going for a crate, make sure it is a strong one, some of the black metal ones you can get are realy flimsy but I got a solid metal one off ebay for £30 for my staff x and its really robust.

x

15. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

How long is she left for a day?

16. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Yes Daisy loves rawhide rolled bones, but I read another thread on here just yesterday which really shocked me about how bad they are for dogs so no more of them for Daisy :(

Daisy did always try to have a go at our rug when she was smaller but a combo of very firm no's, a few time outs in her crate, lots of other things to chew and just general growing up and luckily she seems to have (mostly) got out of the habit of chewing anything she shouldn't. When she gets the chance she still loves a bit of paper or tissues though - if the paper is an envelope with an important letter or the tissue is snotty then all the better :rolleyes:

17. r_neupert

We have 4 days a weeks home with Indy, 3 days at work (8hrs at a time), however both myself and my partner come home for lunch at different times for 1hr each - so really the maximum is only ever 4 hours.

18. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

My Husky girl used to do this. I tried Bitter Spray (which although she didn't like very much, she just ignored the taste) I tried tablets that were supposed to calm your dog and make them more relaxed; I tried DAP sprays and DAP plugins; and nothing worked.

My problem was that I took my girl out of her cage too early. So I had to start putting her back in again. I've noticed now that she is just a destructive dog when no ones home. No amount of toys or stuffed kongs will keep her occupied. So now; when I'm not at home; I have to shut her in the hall way where theres nothing she can damage (It's laminate flooring in the hall way).

Over time she's just sort of grew out of it now so lets hope your dog grows out of it too!

Stacey xxx

19. r_neupert

Went and bought a second baby gate - so she's just in the kitchen now. Come home and nothing is destroyed.... fingers crossed. I do feel a bit mean as it is a smallish area, but i guess a cage would be smaller... Maybe i'm just putting human emotions on her!!

#19 r_neupert, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  20. *WillsTillsBills*

*WillsTillsBills* PetForums Senior

Just been reading through this thread, makes me smile. I have 2 bulldog pups, well there over a year old now, and they litterally chewed our house to bits! For example, the corners of walls (which we had to re-plaster) we managed to get lino that looked like our wooden flooring (took us ages to find) and they chewed through that. We recently brought 2 new coffee tables, 1 of them now has a hole through the middle and no corners and last but not least. We got brought a lazy boy chair as a moving in present, and they chewed the leather off the corners lol! From experience, you can buy all the chews in the world, and toys, and sprays....they just like our furniture and walls better. They have started to grow out of it now, although leave them for 2mins and they have a nibble on the table!! We have now spent £250 for a 6ft by 5ft cage... they are in there for 2 to 4 hrs a day...never any more, and there is enough room to have a little play.....

Sorry to go on!! but the whinging...they used to cry everytime we left the house...but one day it just seemed to click...now they have a sleep while we're out... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice