Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Carpet cleaning tips please! What lotions & potions?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Marbles, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Marbles

Marbles PetForums Newbie

I know this subject has been touched on but I'm at the end of my tether so thought I'd do an post for it.

When I first got my cat she wee'd behind the TV. This was insecurity and soon sorted itself out (or so I thought). The cat uses her litter tray and doesn't wee anywhere other than the same spot behind the TV. Now the vet has said once a cat has been in an area they tend to return to that area and you need to get the urine out and the cat wee enzyme present in their wee out to make sure they can't find the spot and reoffend. I appreciate she regards this spot as her wee area but it's not!!!

I've tried biological liquid, followed by surgical spirit but she is still reoffending on that area so it's not getting rid of whatever it she can smell to find the 'spot' again.

HELP! Hints, tips, lotions and potions appreciated. I've got new carpet so don't want to have to replace it!

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

White vinegar mixed with water & then some Orange pure essential oil to keep her away in future they hate the smell :D

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Maybe not something you might want to hear but we had a problem with a cat once, which like yours, liked to toilet behind the telly! No matter what we did! And like you, we tried biological washing powder solution, double strength enzyme killing commercial solutions, white vinegar, lemon soap, anything!

In the end, we had to put a littler tray there. :(

4. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

I had exactly the same experience as Hobbs so maybe a litter tray would be the way to go. As fit cleaning I used bio washing powder, let it dry then White vinegar and once that dried pet febreeze.

5. JamieR

JamieR PetForums Newbie

when we got our kittens, they had gone feral (a friend of ours friend, who is not our friend or his now :mad: had abandoned them on in the house for a long time), we had a lot of problems like this with Freyja, Mogwai her brother was fine, but she just kept going behind the sofa, tv etc anywhere private.

Like others we tried bio powder, lemon juice etc. Finally we found a solution, orange peel! My wife and I ate an orange everyday then cut the peel into 1cm sections and then laid them all around the problem areas, they need to be fresh so renew the peel everyday. Seems cats hate it with a passion, or at least ours do, and the neighbour cats that like to use our flower beds for litter trays (we used to put peel in the flower beds as well)

Another thing to try, is placing a large box over the litter tray open one sided, a bit like those cat loo's. That way they have some privacy, this may or may not work though, I think it depends on the cat

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Why not try the cleaing as suggested above, and then block access to the back of the TV off?

7. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I swear by methylated spirits on a cloth and rub it into the spot a few times it literally evaperates stains etc. Just use a white cloth (I use a white sock on my hand) it does not take the colour out is is ace :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice