Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Career Change??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zayna, May 14, 2010.

1. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Does anyone here work for the RSPCA or in animal welfare.

Im thinking of having a career change and the idea of becoming an animal welfare officer is appealing to me.

Im just trying to find out as much about it as possible... how do you get into it, what is it like, what are the hours like etc.

Any info would be great!

2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

There used to be a program on telly following students on the road to becomming an RSPCA officer. I thought it was very interesting, and not something i could do!

3. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

cool, will look that up.

tbh im not sure its something i would be able to handle as i can imagine you must see some terrible things.
    Im just sick of having a boring office job that I couldnt give a crap about!

4. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

When i was inbetween jobs last year i helped OH out on the farm and thought i could really get used to driving the tractor, looking after the lambs etc...then it rained one day and i was glad to return to my cosy office with radiator by my feet...kettle... toilet... lol

5. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

i tried posting y'day an d it woudlnt let me :(

when i looked into it it was 22 min age to do inspector. (may have changed) not sure how old you are but may be worth speaking to connexions (or job centre)

id even contact your local rspca or welface place they may help.

myerscough (preston) do animal colection courses.... welfare courses - i know your a far away from there butthere may be something in your area

ucas.com for degrees - mabey google for coleges near you :)

hope that helps a tad :)

6. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

Yep i do.
    I went to college for 3 years and got a 1st and national diploma in animal care,whilst i was there i did numerous work placements at different places.(lots of people chose to go to the same place everytime)

I was working part-time at a boarding catterya dns "show" kennels.where i wentg full time after college.
    It turned out to be a very large sacle backyard breeding establishment and i spent 5 very unhappy years there.

I went on numerous interviews in those 5 years,some involving doing trial days.

I was then lucky enough to get and interview at my current job,which led onto trial days and then getting the job.

The thing i found doing interviews is that they weren`t really interested in my college acheivements,they were more interested in my experience,which luckly i had alot of as i did work placements at many different p[laces.

I work 4 days on,1 day off,3 days on 2 days off,3 days on 1 day off and i work 8-5.
    I also live onsite so once or twice a week i have to do evening duties which involves shutting all the dogs in and answering the phone.I am also a homechecker

compared to my old job,the work is a walk in the park but it`s more heartbreaking and emotionally involved.Its not perfect but i love the work i do,seeing animals going into their new homes and coming back for visits is and amazing feeling.
    I know alot of people aren`t fans of rescues,especially some of the larger ones,which i guess mine is (we have 5 centres) But we try our very hardest with every animal we home.

7. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

thanks for that

Fluffy Bunny that sounds like a perfect job!

Will seriously be looking into it, im so not suited to the whole office scene!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice