UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Six out of 11 care workers who admitted a total of 38 charges of neglect or abuse of patients at a private hospital have been jailed.

Five other workers from Winterbourne View near Bristol were given suspended sentences after the acts of abuse were uncovered by BBC Panorama."
BBC News - Winterbourne View: Care workers jailed for abuse

The sentences are no way long enough imo. These people are pure evil.:mad:

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I'm just watching this on the news... That documentary was horrific. I used to work in a nursing home and my mum works with adults with special needs, I just don't understand how one person - let alone that number - could possibly think treating vulnerable people in that way was ok.

·
Registered
39,165 Posts
i just watched it, it made me feel sick and very angry,:mad:. I used to work in a nursing home, and never see anything like that thank god !!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
"Six out of 11 care workers who admitted a total of 38 charges of neglect or abuse of patients at a private hospital have been jailed.

Five other workers from Winterbourne View near Bristol were given suspended sentences after the acts of abuse were uncovered by BBC Panorama."
BBC News - Winterbourne View: Care workers jailed for abuse

The sentences are no way long enough imo. These people are pure evil.:mad:
Absolutely appalling!:mad:

This is where the justice system is totally crap as well - good grief - crap govt AND crap justice system! What more could we ask for?!! :rolleyes:

One of the care workers was given just two years - :mad5:!! They're the ones that should be denied the luxuries that our prisons offer - they're the ones that should be made to do compulsory community work, not old retired people!!
Another one apparently showed remorse - sorry, but that doesn't wash with me!! :nono:
Janice, you're good at starting these!! It is really interesting to read other members views on these matters! :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
That is disgusting! I also used to work in a nursing home and I don't know how anyone can do something so awful to someone so helpless. Most of the residents I worked with had had strokes or alzeimers(sp?) and wouldnt be able to do a thing to defend themselves. And wouldn't be able to speak out about it either.

I havent seen the documentary so I dont know exactly what went on but I am glad that this has been taken seriously. The families rely so much on careworkers to look after their relatives. As I said some are not able to communicate and so the family members find out how they are doing from the careworkers. You would think you could trust them!

When I worked in the nursing home I didn't see any abuse thankfully but this one lady came to the home and had no relatives but a big collection of beautiful jewellery. Bit by bit the jewellery all went missing until she had none left whatsoever. This happened before I was employed there. Its so sad!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I don't know about others, call me skeptical but it is so hard to trust people these days. To have to make the really hard decision to put a loved one in a home where you place your trust with the staff is never easy. :(

What other pathetic excuses will they come out with?!

'But, but, but, he made me do it!'

:mad:

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I feel sorry for the genuine people who work in care and do a good job, because of such reports it means they too are viewed with suspicion.

Because of this sort of thing my dad will not accept any outside help with my mum - after 54 years married to a good old fashioned housewife who did everything in the home, at 82 he now has to dress her, bathe her, prepare all the meals etc. He is a very proud man and will only accept help from me because he doesn't trust anyone else not to hurt mum :nonod:

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched the documentry when it was shown on telly,and hand on heart it had me in tears.
Scum that treat people this way should not be allowed back into our society.:mad:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
when was the documentry on?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I feel sorry for the genuine people who work in care and do a good job, because of such reports it means they too are viewed with suspicion.
Because of this sort of thing my dad will not accept any outside help with my mum - after 54 years married to a good old fashioned housewife who did everything in the home, at 82 he now has to dress her, bathe her, prepare all the meals etc. He is a very proud man and will only accept help from me because he doesn't trust anyone else not to hurt mum :nonod:
I do too but unfortunately, there are narrow-minded people who wil tar every one with the same brush regardless!:(

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
completely agree!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
The other thread put on here about 'retired people' and this one - omg, these old dears are really being having a tough time!

Makes me think I should go and live in a small shed somewhere and live on baked beans with the pathetic pension I will receive so I'm not a burden on society when I get old!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
That documentary was really horrific.:( I just didnt understand why on earth those people were in that job when they clearly werent suited. I mean you could get a factory or cleaning job for the same money!
Working in a care home really only suits a very particular type of person because it can be a gruelling, depressing and tiring job and sadly the good people who do it really arent valued as the skilled workers they are.:(

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That documentary was really horrific.:( I just didnt understand why on earth those people were in that job when they clearly werent suited. I mean you could get a factory or cleaning job for the same money!
Working in a care home really only suits a very particular type of person because it can be a gruelling, depressing and tiring job and sadly the good people who do it really arent valued as the skilled workers they are.:(
That's something i can't get my head around. I know for a fact i couldn't work in a care home,whether it be for elderly or those with learning difficulties. But that's not to say i don't care. I think it takes a very special person to do such a job.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was mortified when i see the documentry on tv. I work in the care sector myself and dont understand what went through there heads to even think/do such a thing. These vulnerable adults rely on there support/care workers and for them to treated with no respect or dignity is hurendous.
Makes me sick to know this was going on and for it to be reported to the manager for them to ignore such a thing right under there nose.
IM so glad they have been caught karmas a B***H!!!!

Posted from Petforums.co.uk App for Android

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
im a support worker and i work with people who clearly dont care about the job they are doing but even they would never hurt any of our SU's
i rememebr watching the documentary, i think everyone in my family did cause for the next week i was getting phonecalls off them asking if that was how we did things :rolleyes:

i was just like, 'nah, we're worse than them.'

seriously though, we regularly work 14.5 hours with no breaks - sleep in's and everything and there really is NO excuse.

i've had to whistleblow a couple of times and i can say - however much i bitch about my company - it has been dealt with quickly and satisfactorly...

·
Registered
180 Posts
metame said:
im a support worker and i work with people who clearly dont care about the job they are doing but even they would never hurt any of our SU's
i rememebr watching the documentary, i think everyone in my family did cause for the next week i was getting phonecalls off them asking if that was how we did things

seriously though, we regularly work 14.5 hours with no breaks - sleep in's and everything and there really is NO excuse.

i've had to whistleblow a couple of times and i can say - however much i bitch about my company - it has been dealt with quickly and satisfactorly...
Good for you being able to do that it takes someone strong and confident to do that as theres many people that would be very scared to report any safeguarding issues.
x

Posted from Petforums.co.uk App for Android

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i rememebr watching the documentary, i think everyone in my family did cause for the next week i was getting phonecalls off them asking if that was how we did things :rolleyes:

Good for you for blowing the whistle.And its good to know your company has done things about it.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.