Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Care of Timid Cat whilst on Holiday

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by alanem, Dec 1, 2007.

1. alanem

alanem Guest

Some 10 years ago my daughter and partner took in a stray cat which had been badly abused and traumatised. After a lot of TLC Lily became “humanised” again however she has remained extremely timid of strangers and would bolt off if anyone came in the house, to hide, until they had gone. If she felt cornered she displayed a side that was very unpleasant and frightening. Then 5 years on my daughter became pregnant and she was anxious about the affect a new baby would have on Lily and asked if we could have her on a temporary basis. We have now had Lily for 5 years and Daisy the first grandchild turned out to be scared of cats and when she comes to see us Lily shoots off in one direction and Daisy goes in the other however there is also a boisterous two year old brother for Lily to contend with now.

Here is the nub my wife and I like to travel and previously Lily has gone to my daughters when we have been away for a few days but to be honest nobody enjoyed it and after the last time when there was pandemonium she has refused point blank to have Lily again. We want to go for a 6 week holiday to India in February and we don’t know what to do for the best. My daughter agrees with us that a cattery for that length of time would not be in Lily’s best interest as well as expensive. We do have a weatherproof outhouse with a cat flap and there is a bivouac type bed that she uses during the night and I had the idea to ask a reliable neighbour to fill her feeding bowl with dry food and water maybe once or twice a week. I also thought about fitting a thermostatically controlled heater in there but my wife does not like that idea.

I know we will both be worried if we leave Lily but we want to go to India whilst we can. Can anybody make any suggestions (other than to keep topics short) or give us some reassurance that Lily will be OK and we are not bad people. Apologies for going on.

2. Its a bit tricky to leave her alone for such as long period. What about cat sitter, who could come for a couple of hours a day and if Lily wont like to be stroked - just to sit there and to talk to her.

3. alanem

alanem Guest

Thanks Elena but as I say at the sight of a stranger Lily is off like a rocket and the cat sitter would be talking to her/himself!!

4. I mean - any kind of human presens within her sight; someone calm and very quiet (like me lol:D:D, but I am too far I guess) otherwise she'll became timid to you againl. Its far too long period to leave her absolutely alone. Someone retired? single? Does Lily likes toys, is she playing sometimes?

5. mell-e-c

mell-e-c PetForums Member

how about introducing someone new to her.. she got used to you so surely someone gentle natured she would adapt to therefore when you go away its not a stranger whos going to her? its someone she has gotten used to? just a suggestion but hope it helps! good luck :)

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi, is it possible your daughter could pop round to feed the cat and stay awhile maybe when your grandaughter is at nursery/school?

7. alanem

alanem Guest

Thanks for your thoughts Melissa that 'someone new' would probably have to come and live with us for some time which is not practical and we don't know anybody with that sort of commitment who could patiently wait for Lily to come out of hiding sufficiently long enough to make friends. When we first got Lily we only saw her when she was hungry and it took ages for her to accept us. She had to learn to use a cat litter because we didn't want to put her outside. We bought no end of toys and ticklers but she was just not interested. She has now got used to going out at night but still doesn't play as such. Lily will hide and sleep during the day somewhere in the house or outhouse when it is cold or wet or outside during nice weather and sit with us for a couple of hours in the evening then go to the door to go out. If any stranger appears we just do not see her at all so we have food for her inside and in the outhouse and simply await her pleasure. We have spent a long time thinking about this situation and cannot come up with a suggestion that is not impractical or damaging to Lily. Thanks again for your thoughts everybody.

8. alanem

alanem Guest

Thanks Kittycat but my daughter is a working teacher and lives 20 miles away.

9. sounds quite difficult situation.....

10. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

I think your idea about fitting a heater, oil radiators are great, and a nice warm bed in your shed is a great idea, if someone could pop round in the morning and evening to check food, water and cats health, I would also leave a letter for your vet or contact your vet directly asking if ok that if your cat needs any attention you will pick up bill on your return. Aslong as your cat flap has a two way lock it would be easy to contain him/her evenings then open two ways again mornings.;)

11. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

oh and if you are concerned about the cat with a stranger entering the shed you can get plug in device that calm cats from fear, they work, :)

12. alanem

alanem Guest

Esined thanks so much for your most useful reply. Can you tell me more about the plug in device please.

13. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

there are a few sites and remedies you can try

put these in your google search.

'feliway comfort zone modules'

'homeopet'

there are drops available as well that you can put in food or on your clothes

good luck,:)

14. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

I have a timid cat too. Sadly I think the only thing to do is look after her physical health and get a pet sitter to come in to feed her and see to the litter tray, then just go away. If she/he feels like trying to make friends all well and good - but you're going to have to start taming her again when you return anyway - and she'll take ages to 'forgive' you.
    Feliway plug-ins don't have any impact on mine, I was just wasting my money.
    Does the holiday have to be 6 weeks? Could you cut it to 3?

15. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

This thread is from 2007, holiday is long over and done with

AmsMam, Cookieandme and SusieRainbow like this.
  16. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Ooops! Anyway - how did you solve your problem?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice