UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GSd had her second litter 9 weeks ago, she was a brill mum and her nine pups have now all gone to their new homes. I would now like to build her up a bit, as she is a bit slimmer than normal. I have kept her on the puppy food I fed her on throughout pregnancy, and am also giving her a tin of tuna a day. Or should I just let nature take its course and let her gradually put the weight back on over the next few weeks. What would you do ?

·
Registered
772 Posts
It can take time for a bitch to get her condition back after a litter, more so with a big breed like yours. My breed on the whole a fairly quick to get back into condition after a litter. I just make sure that she is fed a good qaulity diet and let nature take it's course.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply, that was my gut instinct, but I just wanted to ensure I was doing the best for her. She is fit and healthy, just a little on the slim side.

G

·
I always use Fit and Fertile to get my bitches back into condition after a litter it is marvelous stuff have used it for years.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Jan, I saw the thread earlier, didn't make the connection, what a dum-dum, fit and fertile, says it all really.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi Have thought about the goodness in a raw egg once a week, my girls like a raw egg now and again. have thought about a vitimin supplement table once a day also.
I own free range chickens as well as a number of dogs, they help themselves to fresh eggs on a regular basis. It's a bit of a game who gets to the eggs first, me or them, I usually loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My GSd had her second litter 9 weeks ago, she was a brill mum and her nine pups have now all gone to their new homes. I would now like to build her up a bit, as she is a bit slimmer than normal. I have kept her on the puppy food I fed her on throughout pregnancy, and am also giving her a tin of tuna a day. Or should I just let nature take its course and let her gradually put the weight back on over the next few weeks. What would you do ?
I would get her of the puppy food, it might be high in calcium , but not the right requiments for a mother or adult dog. 9 weeks isnt very long ago , it dose take some time for them to come back to normal, some high cal foods will get her back into shape, i get my girls onto some beef stews for a couple of weeks and steamed chicken and rice. hope this helps. Rob Australian breeder
Pet Transport Logistics

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
i used barf diet, that totally natural and has no additives whatsoever :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.