Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Care of bitch after litter

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jenny Olley, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

My GSd had her second litter 9 weeks ago, she was a brill mum and her nine pups have now all gone to their new homes. I would now like to build her up a bit, as she is a bit slimmer than normal. I have kept her on the puppy food I fed her on throughout pregnancy, and am also giving her a tin of tuna a day. Or should I just let nature take its course and let her gradually put the weight back on over the next few weeks. What would you do ?

2. basi

basi PetForums Senior

It can take time for a bitch to get her condition back after a litter, more so with a big breed like yours. My breed on the whole a fairly quick to get back into condition after a litter. I just make sure that she is fed a good qaulity diet and let nature take it's course.

3. Jenny Olley

thanks for your reply, that was my gut instinct, but I just wanted to ensure I was doing the best for her. She is fit and healthy, just a little on the slim side.

4. jan-c

jan-c Guest

I always use Fit and Fertile to get my bitches back into condition after a litter it is marvelous stuff have used it for years.

5. Jenny Olley

thanks Jan, I saw the thread earlier, didn't make the connection, what a dum-dum, fit and fertile, says it all really.

6. Janetsmayflower

Janetsmayflower PetForums Newbie

Hi i would feed her a higher protein food but she will go back to normal. My Akita bitch took 4 months before she was in great shape again. Regards Janet

7. blackbird

blackbird PetForums Newbie

hi Have thought about the goodness in a raw egg once a week, my girls like a raw egg now and again. have thought about a vitimin supplement table once a day also.

8. Jenny Olley

I own free range chickens as well as a number of dogs, they help themselves to fresh eggs on a regular basis. It's a bit of a game who gets to the eggs first, me or them, I usually loose.

9. noubi

noubi PetForums Member

Raw tripe is very good mine have it and love it but it stinks:(

10. blackbird

blackbird PetForums Newbie

Sounds like you have a cracking time:D

11. petbone

petbone PetForums Newbie

I would get her of the puppy food, it might be high in calcium , but not the right requiments for a mother or adult dog. 9 weeks isnt very long ago , it dose take some time for them to come back to normal, some high cal foods will get her back into shape, i get my girls onto some beef stews for a couple of weeks and steamed chicken and rice. hope this helps. Rob Australian breeder
    Pet Transport Logistics

12. bullyb

bullyb PetForums VIP

i used barf diet, that totally natural and has no additives whatsoever :D

13. hehehehehehe:D:D:D:D

14. nici

nici PetForums Senior

i to use the barf diet and personly think its the best, after my bitch had her pups she didnt take long to get back to normal at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice