Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Care after neutering - any tips?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hecoscmar, Aug 12, 2009.

1. hecoscmar

hecoscmar PetForums Newbie

Hi,

We just had our boy neutered yesterday and he seems to be suffering quite bad after effects. we picked him up yesterday afternoon and he was a bit groggy which is not a surprise, but now a day later he's still not really eaten, has hardly touched his water, he's shaking all the time (I don't know if that's because he's scared or traumatised). I took him back to the vet this morning and they gave him some more pain relief and an anti inflammatory and since I brought him home he's just lain on the floor looking really sad or wanted to just stand still in the middle of the garden. He's also dribbling a lot which he does when he's nauseous.

I'm surprised that the after effects are more dramatic than I thought. Everyone says it's a routine op, but actually it seems it's quite a big deal and it looks like he'll take some time to recover.

Is this normal? Has anyone else's dog had this sort of reaction after being neutered? Or am I just being over anxious? I don't like to see my boy unhappy, he's normally such a bouncy little fella.

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I cant really advice on this as i dont know whether some dogs do have this sort of reaction i have had 2 dogs neutered in he past and other licking the area and it looking very sore they have to be honest been a pain to keep still go out on gentle lead walks (not a chance) so mine could have been more unusual than yours i dont really know, it does sound though like a reaction to the anesthetic he proberbly doesnt take it too well as we know is the same with us humans, how is he this morning if still concerned i would give he vet a ring and ask for some advice and ime sure someone will be on here shortly who has maybe had a dog whos had a reaction to the op as your has. Do hope he's a little better today

3. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I haven't really got much advice.
    The day we brought my boy home was horrible, he was whining all evening and couldn't settle, but for food we gave him scrambled egg and he ate that fine, maybe you could try giving your boy some.

The day after he seemed to be fine and was all bouncy again.
    But as haeveymolly said, it could be a reaction to the anaesthaetic.

Hope he's feeling better today.

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

As said above i would call the vets and have a chat with the vet,ive had my boys "chopped" and both were ok,no side affects
    Hope he perks up soon

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When my bitch was spayed she was basically fine, it was hard to keep her from being too active - nothing like yours and the spay is of course a much bigger op. My vet gave me a sheet of post-op care instructions. You can expect some after effects from the anaesthetic, but if he's not a lot better today, eating normally, go back to the vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice