Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Caravan this weekend first time

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melovesthekittys, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:14 PM.

1. Melovesthekittys

Melovesthekittys PetForums Member

Instead of our girl being watched this weekend the owner has said we can bring our girl woohoo. She is crate trained she loves hers as it's huge with big bed in. Course my children want to go swimming so she will need to be left for an hour but we will spend most of the time saving money cooking and bbqing in and 1 night play bingo out for a little bit. I feel this is fine myself as I know her well anyone else have much experience?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Caravans can get quite hot and if you are on a site there can be a lot of noise which could set her off barking so personally I would not feel comfortable leaving a dog in a caravan. A lot of sites do not allow it anyway. My dogs have frequently been on caravan holidays and love it but if we went out they came with us and stayed in the car if it was not a dog friendly place we were going to.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  3. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Ditto Blitz, I would never feel comfortable leaving Emma in a caravan, especially with windows open due to heat!

Blitz likes this.
  4. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Hope you have a lovely time caravan holidays with the dog are great. Most sites ask that you don't leave dogs alone in caravans.

We took our first trip for this year this weekend and even the very dog-friendly caravan club have changed their rules and information leaflets for dogs.

I have left my leaflet in the van but here is a link to the older leaflet.

The biggest changes I can remember are leads are now down to 2m and if you don't clean up or someone feels upset by your dogs' behaviour you will be asked to leave.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/5172649/visiting club sites with dogs.pdf

Having said that don't be put off caravan holidays with your dog are awesome and can inspire your children to love new and amazing outdoor activities.

#4 Picklelily, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 9:58 PM
  5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

IMG_20190414_113612239.jpg

Baby rabbit behind our van last weekend
    Mrs snoozy refusing to get out of bed at 10:30am. She does get very cold at night in the van so she is allowed on our bed or she wears a jumpers at night. We don't allow her on the bed at home.
    IMG_20190413_162250511_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20190413_172915983_HDR.jpg IMG_20190413_172915983_HDR.jpg IMG_20190413_151340977.jpg
    IMG_20190414_102530306.jpg

Mrs snoozy refusing to get out of bed at 10:30 am.

She does get very cold at night in the van so she is allowed on our bed or she wears a jumper at night. We don't allow her on the bed at home. A crate in the awning gets too cold in my opinion unless you have a very heavy coated breed.

These are a few of our pictures from last weekend.

I would recommend taking a big bottle of water from home for the dog for the first night. Pickle when we first started going away could be quite fussy about different water.
    A doggy backpack with a dog drinking water bottle, dog poo bags and treats is useful.

Don't forget to include a few dog first aid items in your first aid kit.
    Flea treatment, dog drying towel and shampoo.

Don't bath the dog in your caravan shower our girl cracked ours :(

Throws for the caravan sofas help a lot.

#5 Picklelily, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 9:39 PM
    FAW56 and SusieRainbow like this.
  6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Senior

We have a caravan on the Gower coast it was our first weekend last week,Liam has visited in the day but never stayed overnight so I didn't know how he would settle but he was amazing and had a great time although it was freezing cold as we had severe wind:(.We are back off down there today until next week the weather is supposed to be gorgeous but we live in Wales so we will probably get some rain:D.Hope you have a great time:)

Picklelily and DaisyBluebell like this.
  7. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Ohh how lovely I have always wanted to go to the Gower peninsula

8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Ooh love the Gower, beautiful place. Went many moons ago at Easter, took roll neck jumpers coats etc, turned out so hot we had to go out & buy t-shirts! I went riding & got my legs burnt through my jodhpurs ! No rain that time niamh!

Picklelily likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice