Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Car trouble

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zayna, May 24, 2010.

1. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

My dad bought me a brand new car for my 21st bday. Ive had it nearly 4 years now and love it to bits but its an expensive car and I can barely afford to keep it. its quite juicy on petrol, the tax and insuarance are high and i havent serviced it cos i cant afford to.
    i have seen for sale a nice little car right near me. its much older the mine and is going cheap. im thinking of buying it and selling mine on, i can use the profit to pay off some debts plus im thinking the older car will be alot cheaper to run
    I have txt my dad to see what he thinks and he replied that its up to me but i get the impression hes quite hurt that im selling his present.
    I need to do whats best for us financially but i dont want to hurt my dads feelings. what shall i do??

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

I would look at reviews on the other car 1st sometimes older cars arnt cheaper to run unless they have been well looked after with full service history, low mileage etc Im sure your dad will understand :)

3. jon bda

jon bda Guest

The other problem you'll have is getting rid of yours too, people looking at something around that age will be expecting a full service history with it, not something that never gets looked at...
    :)

4. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

You've had a car for four years and it has never been serviced? :scared:
    What car do you have and what do you want to replace it with?

5. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

nope, I cant afford it. it has to be plugged in by Nissan (its a micra) and they charge over £200 for a service.
    The car I saw was a 1996 corsa.
    Im having second thoughts now anyway... My car has never given me a days trouble despite being expensive. this one could end up costing me more in the long run. if we were desperate for money I would sell up but we are ticking over atm....

6. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Better the devil you know with cars :rolleyes: x

7. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Find a local independant garage to service it, they will be cheaper than main dealers, and more likely to do a proper job. If your worried about them putting the service indicator out, its only a matter of pressing a few buttons, hell, i'll pm you the instructions to do it yourself. Get your car a service, get it checked over and forget all ideas of buying an old Corsa...that will be more of a moneypit than your Micra...
    :)

8. ClaireLouise

I think Micras are quite cheap to run to be honest, I would look into it really well before you let it go

9. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I'd stick with the newer car. My 2000 fiesta is a money pit! I'm lucky my OH is a diesel engineer - when it failed it's MOT I got quoted over £300 to fix it (After we'd already done a few bits and bobs) We got the parts for £40 and labour was OH so it was free.

If you can afford it stick with the newer car i think!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice