Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Car travel with a dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by xxzeezeexx, Sep 19, 2013.

1. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Hello. Yet another question to help with my plans to get a dog soon. :D. (I cant help it, I'm a control freak, I have to plan!)
    I have a Clio. I am likely to be getting a medium-large dog. I'm thinking its best for me to fold down the back seats to give plenty of room, but this is likely to cause issues securing the dog.
    What do you do?

2. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I've got a large dog and a Ford Fiesta. I use a seat belt harness on the back seat with a hammock to keep the seats clean(ish). I don't want him to be a missile in the event of a crash or sharp breaking.

3. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Is that with the seats up? What breed is your dog?

There is a metal loop in the back for securing things. If I have a lead and harness attached to that with the seats down, will it be OK? S/he would be able to walk around a bit but shouldn't be able to get in my way.

Do you find yours gets in the way of the rear view mirror at all?

4. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

If I just had the one dog then I'd probably just use a harness and clip him in on the back seat. The other options are a crate or a dog guard and door guard in the boot. :)

5. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I have a large Rhodesian Ridgeback. I use a proper car harness that loops around a seatbelt done up.
    Tru-Fit Smart Harness with Steel Nesting Buckles - Dog Travel - Shop Dog Gear

I don't use the metal loop because his weight exceeds the weight the loop is designed for.

He just lies on the back seat, he doesn't move around so he doesn't get in the way of the rear view mirror.

6. xshelly_stanliex

xshelly_stanliex PetForums VIP

We have a Ford KA, and 3 dogs two staffys and a collie/corgi cross. they all sit on the back seats with there harnesses that attach to the seatbelt.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I have a large dog (Briard) and I have a harness for the back seat.

8. xxzeezeexx

xxzeezeexx Guest

Had a fun filled few days so I forgot about this thread!

We have found Rottweiller which we are eager to adopt. At the rescue we asked if we could put the 2 dogs we were looking at the car to compare size. They were very eager to get in the car and I felt really bad when I had to get the straight back out. Must have confused the hell out of them :confused:
    Do you aim to give them room to move about on the seat, while secured or will it be OK if she cant turn around much?

That Tru-Fit harness - I looked at the crash test video and I felt it had a lot of travel. Is a dog not just going to hurt its self being flung on the floor, between front and back seats? Would have thought a car safety product would have aimed to keep an animal as stationary as possible?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice