Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Car Tax What A Con!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JANICE199, Jul 5, 2009.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I've just looked at my tax disc on the car we got a few weeks ago and its going to cost £210 for 12 months. Now is it just me that hasn't got a clue how the hell this goverment work things out? My old car which has a 1600cc engine and is almost 20years old will cost me £190 for 12 months,but the zafira which also has a 1600cc engine will cost £210.:confused: The fact that the zafira is newer surely makes the emmission (sp) better which is what i thought the country wanted.So why is it going to cost me an extra £20?:confused::mad:

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Government for you! :mad:

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

It may be because your old car is coming up to be a classic car. I think when they are 25 years ols you don't have to tax them or thats what used to happen.OH had a mini that was 24 years old he didn't have long to go until it didn't need a tax disc when some one vandalised it and it was written off.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I've just looked on the DVLA site,see if this makes sence.lol it doesn't to me.:confused:

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Well thats a load of double dutch lol:eek:ut:

I presume someone at the DVLA understands it

6. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

my brother has a new toyota prias it costs about £15 a yeAR TO TAX!!:eek:

7. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

£15 a month jeez thats good but is it a small car? its not fair on people who need bigger cars, i have four dogs and need a large estate, for example yesterday two adults and a child, two ferrets in carriers and two dogs travelled 400 miles, plus we had bags of stuff for the fererts, bags for the dog with bowls water food etc and bags to feed us humans, oh and a collapsable dog cage, we JUST fitted it all in a small car while cheaper would be useless for me.

I am fortunate right now in that my mum is terminaly ill (thats not the fortunate bit, id rather have her healthy and pay tax obviosuly) what is fortunate is that my car is now a disability car and i dont pay tax, i dread tot hink how much it wil be.

Is the fact that the price has gone up not anything to do with the car but just the fact they have put the price up, so your old car would also have gone up if you had kept it?

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I still have both cars but its to do with the year ( if i unstood it properly).And my husbands car would have cost cheaper than the zafira.:confused:

9. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

the taxing is now based on emissions and size of car, a larger car with a small engine will struggle and therefore emit more (always go for a car with an engine that can cope with the weight far more economical). it's also a people carrier so large and they tax on that now too, you would do better to have large normal car than a people carrier as they are far more economical and aren't taxed as much (generally) due not being seen as a chelsea tractor by the gov.

you're older car is exempt from the new taxing rules as it was built before certain emissions laws were brought in and therefore cant' be penalized, however it is not exempt from being taxed now that it is over 20 years old.

the rolling 20 year classic car exemption no longer runs, the gov stopped that as they were losing too much money to cars over this age. Your car has to have bene built before 1975 (i think) anything after that will be taxed as normal no matter how old it gets. I have a 1987 car and it gets taxed, £195 a year if i remember rightly due to it being a 1.8 8v gti.

The toyota prius has a low tax as it is a hybrid. all hybrids are seen as 'green' due to using less fuel and having a non-emitting fuel cell (despite this being ungreen when it's built and disposed of an only lasts a short time) and therefore dont' have much emissions etc so only get taxed a wee bit. Newer hybrids and other non fossil fuel cars will be taxed less, until there are a certain amount of them around as the gov will then realise that they aren't getting enough tax to pay for their lunches.. erm i mean for the roads.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice