Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

car sick...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Louby, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

:001_unsure:

When i brought Perry home he was in the car for nearly an hour and got sick :( since then i have only taken him out in the car once - to go to the vets which is only a ten minute drive - he was sick as i parked up outside the vets [luckily i took a puppy pad with me that time ;)]

I am supposed to be taking him to see my sister and her children tonight but he has just eaten and i think that is probably not a good mix lol - so i won't be going.

I will be taking him to puppy classes soon though, - is there something you can give to puppys to stop them getting car sick?

I will be asking my vet next time i see him but thought i would ask here too.

2. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Theres definately boxes i've seen at Pets at Home with travel tablets - believe you can get prescription stuff if it's bad too.

Keep going with it though - he needs to learn to live with it and enjoy it!!! Don't feed before hand, make sure you're getting fresh air into the car as you're driving, and take plenty of stops and take a water bowl...

3. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

i put the air conditiioning on in the car when he is in it - is that good enough or does he need to feel a breeze too?

If i keep taking him on little trips will he 'get used to it' then?

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

A ginger biscuit about an hour before travelling sometimes does the trick, worked for my Ted.

5. Jacinth

Jacinth PetForums Junior

Hi there

My puppy was sick on the way to the vets too and then he hated going in the car. he's now 19 weeks old and has got over it. The previous post is right, don't feed him before hand and make sure he can't see out the window, the motion makes them feel queasy. And yes, opening the window helps.

6. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Try taking him on VERY short journeys- even just to the end of your road. No more than 10 minutes. If he's fine, then increase by 5 minutes each time (remember you have to come back though!), if he's sick at 10 minutes, decrease to 5 minutes etc. Also you could try sitting on the drive with the engine running but not driving anywhere. I wouldnt' give him tablets just yet to be honest.

Where does he sit in the car? Can he sit on somebodys knee? He needs to be as close to you as possible, so no sticking him in the boot!

Some dogs, however, are just travel sick like children are!

7. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

on the drive home from the breeders he was in the abck seat on my daughters lap - he threw up into a sandwich bag [i handily hadnt binned lol]

on the way to the vets he sat in the front seat - nobody else came with me and nobody else will be coming with me to puppy training either.

He is too little to see out of the window - he is a chihuahuah x yorkshire terrier

I will open the window and take him on little trips with an empty tummy and hopefully he will get better

hmmm a ginger bisuit could take him forever to eat - and i imagine that would be quite messy to clean up lol - i will give it a whirl if the above doesnt do the job.

8. r_neupert

9. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my first dog was very badly travel sick, didnt even make it a few houses half the time, unfortunatly nothing worked and you couldnt get things like travel sickness tablets then.
    Its important to remember that it very unnatural for any animal, including us, to go in a car. Our brains tell us we are moving but our bodies arent doing anything which upsets the body and makes us ill, same with the animals but they cant understand how we are moving. id try what others have suggested but with practice he may become used to it but may never be able to make very long journeys. I grew out of my travel sickness but i cant travel too long and i cant read or anything in the car either.

10. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Mine was car sick when he was very young but seemed to grow out of it he loves the car now as he knows theres normally a nice long country walk or something.

11. Oblada

Oblada Guest

My boy was sick in the car at the beginning - since we've had our own car we've been trying to take him regularly on short journeys (15 minutes say or less) and now he is mostly fine - only on the odd occasion he will throw up.
    I try not to feed him before a real drive (over an hour) and for a short drive I try to have as much time in between as possible (and possibly less food than normally).

I dont agree with trying to have him as close to you as possible - my boy was sick when he was on my knees and since being in the boot he has been much better - I think it helps him to have his own space where he can settle in peace.

xx

12. r_neupert

I reckon 99% of puppy car sickness is probably just cured with repetition (care taken in the repetition bit of course! Not driving them round roundabouts till they're cured ;) ) There will be the odd annoying dog that'll just like to have his paws firmly on the ground and will need to medicated to the ears to even go near a car! I very much doubt that'll be you - that'll be the person that doesn't sort it out early on probably.

Just stick with it, nature will do the rest, it certainly isn't in the dogs best interests to hurl in a car, so no doubt they'll work it out that it isn't so crazy eventually and will live happily ever after!

Side note: I live in Milton Keynes, we are known for cows and roundabouts. My dog has perfected a permanant right handed lean when she's in the car. The foster dog hasn't quite clocked on yet and just rolls round the boot.

13. petfriendly

petfriendly PetForums Newbie

This workes for us every time, 30 minutes before every journey. Half a ginger biscuit.

14. PennyH

PennyH PetForums Senior

Our last yorkie had the record for being car sick - she was sick 25 times in a 25 mile journey.... in the end, we just put the bag in front of her and she knew to be sick in that.
    We were absolutely in despair.
    Then we discovered cocculus tablets at the health food shop - they were like a miracle for her.
    We gave her a couple before a car journey, and she wasn't sick. We gradually increased the length of journeys, and reduced the tablets until finally she could go anywhere without being sick!
    Worked for us.
    Good luck and stick with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice