Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Car Pooping!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jujuebird, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Jujuebird

Jujuebird PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a 13 year old male dog who is very obedient, well behaved and clean etc. I’ve never had problems with him toileting anywhere other that outside, apart from the occasion time that he’s had a bad tummy and he’s done it in the house. However, for the past few months, whenever I take him in the car, he’s started pooping. I always make sure he’s been out before he gets in the car and he’s a seasoned car dog, he comes everywhere with me. There has been times that he has done it literally 3 minutes after he has gotten in the car. He’s always been an excited car dog but he calms down when he can stick his head out of the window. He’s not even squatting to poop, it just seems to be falling out of his bottom and he doesn’t even bring his head inside the car to do it (although I don’t blame him due to the smell!). I have recently bought dog nappies to put on him. I put one on today and took him in the car and when I got to my destination I found that he had pooped in his nappy, however, for some reason there was a poop on he car seat! I spoke to the vet and he doesn’t seem to have any concerns but I am completely frustrated. I bought a brand new car and he pooped in it 2 days after I got it. Fortunately, I have dog proofed the back so it doesn’t go onto the seats. As you can imagine, when a dog poops 3 minutes into a 20 minute journey, there is a lot of retching coming from the driving seat. Can anyone help with this please? Thanks
    Julie

2. KPope

KPope MylittleAngel

Seems like he's over excited. Maybe before you put him in, let him walk and sniff around the car to give him time to calm down. If you have to be some where and can't wait, let him ride in a travel crate. That way if he poops, it won't get directly on your car seats.

3. Jujuebird

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. As I said in my post, he’s 13 years old and a seasoned car rider and has never done it before in all those years! I don’t understand why he would suddenly start doing this. Could it be cognitive impairment due to his age?

4. KPope

KPope MylittleAngel

Well, he is a senior. Maybe things have changed with his body. Is he full at the tummy when you put him in the car? Maybe there is some motion sickness with his tummy? Maybe you can better evaluate him if you get someone to drive while you sit in the back seat to see what is actually going on. Hope the situation gets better.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Jujuebird

Thanks for your reply. Yes I do wonder if it’s because he’s a senior. I might sit in the back and evaluate. Thanks.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Do you walk him and get him to empty himself before getting in the car? That might sort it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Apologies if am repeating what others have said but read the thread earlier and now have sufficient time to reply.

At 13 am wondering if part of the issue is doggy dementia setting in. Things that were ok can often become frightening and cause anxiety. Which in turn lead to the pooing in the car. Quite often in separation anxiety in dogs there can be lots of poo from dogs, when a dog is fully toilet trained.

With doggy dementia some dogs do become more clingy, they don't want to be left or you get random behaviours such as walking in to corners and seeming to be lost and not knowing how to get out of their predicament. It's all very much dog dependent.

You could try something like acktivat which many thinks helps. I used it on my old girl and I think it got her spring back in her step.

You could try reconditioning in to the car by going in the car engine off, lots of treats. Gradually build up engine on but not going anywhere..short journey and increase. Might be useful to use a travel sickness tablet such as surgeon??? I never remember the name but am sure you will find it via pharmacists.

Another additional thing you could add is coconut oil. Am not all for coconut oil being a miracle cure for everything like the internet says but how it's built, how the fats put together in short chains there is some evidence that it's good for aging of the brain. So in conjunction with everything it may help. Just don't go overboard as it's a fat too much and it can give loose stools.

Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  8. Jujuebird

Hi there,

Yes he is walked and I alway make sure he has done his business before he gets in the car. As I’ve said, this is a very new thing - he’s 13 and has never done before!

9. Jujuebird

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I know he certainly isn’t anxious when he gets in the car. He’s always excited for the journey and of course I have wondered if it could be doggy dementia. He’s actually a very young 13 year old dog and still does have lots of spring in his step. With regards to leaving the engine off, I have a fully electric car so it doesn’t make any noise at all! Also, Sid is a little deaf these days so noise doesn’t seem to bother him. He’s actually a really chilled out dog, this is why I can’t understand why he’s suddenly started doing it. The first time he did it was 2 days after I had bought a brand new car, you can imagine how happy I was about that! At the beginning of May he had a large operation to remove a cancerous tumour from his neck and developed diarrhoea for around 4 weeks after that so I thought that was the problem, however, when he does it now in the car the stools are hard and normal. I just don’t get it. I spoke to the vet about it last week and told him I was putting Sid in nappies in the car and he said ‘you have to do what you can do to manage these issues’! Maybe he just doesn’t like my new car.......dirty protest maybe?

10. Jujuebird

Also, does anyone have any recommendations of dog nappies? I have bought some which seem to fit well however, the tail hole allows some poop to fall out of!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice