Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

car insurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 2lisa2, Mar 23, 2011.

1. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

my niece has just bought her first car lent the money for it an now she relised she cant afford the insurance :rolleyes: can it be kept parked up outside her house no drive or garage by the way without insurance it is taxed thanks in advance :)

2. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

any vehicle parked on a road...HAS to be taxed..mot'd and insured.

3. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

You have to declare it off the road, thats what we did when my gran brought my first car

4. KathrynH

KathrynH Guest

As others have said yes it does have to be taxed and insured and if not, you have to declare it off the road. :)

5. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

thanks everyone :)

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Plus, if its not insured and someone decides to set fire to it, she can't claim.

I was going to leave my car uninsured for 1 month parked on the driveway so as to make my years no claims tie up with when I got my license (no claims was 1 year when I had my license 11 months and I wanted them equal). I didn't think until someone told me that if anyone knocks in the windscreens or sets fire to it then I can get nothing back from it.

I really hope she didn't pay much for the car, insurance seems to be about £2000 at the minute. Get her to look up Churchill they are better depending on your area but were good for me. They and others like Admiral/Elephant don't use go compare type sites. Hastings Basic are quite good too but no windscreen cover...

7. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

the thing with declairing SORN it does have to be off the road.. you cannot park a car on the road without tax.. insurance or mot.. if you do.. and a mr plod happens to pass with his camera, then say goodbuy to the car.

8. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

im so angrywith her i kept telling her she wouldnt be able to afford it she lent 4500 for the car i kept trying to talk her into a cheap run around and the cheapest insurance was 3000 now she will be lucky to get back 4500 for the car :(

9. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Parked on a driveway, must be SORN'd. Take tax to the post office to get the money back on it :) if not sorned they will fine you for having no tax as they will think you driving it.

Can NOT be on public road without tax mot and insurance!

10. WaveRider

WaveRider PetForums Senior

You cant declare the car SORN and keep it parked on the road. It has to be kept/stored on private land.

Keeping the vehicle on the road it must be insured.

11. CharleyRogan

has she put anyone on the insurance with her as a named driver? I found mine dropped loads, also what car, reg e.g. 07 is it and engine?

cars over Y reg are more expensive on insurance, also anything over a 1.2 is a dramatic increase than say a 1.0 or a 1.1 (in my experience anyway!)

#11 CharleyRogan, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  12. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

My boyfriends lucky, my gran lets him use her car, so as he's not the named driver on it he is only paying £50 a month insurance

13. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

right now ive let her put it in our garage ive told her she need insurance if she wants to keep it outside her house their no drive or nothing plus she lives in a rough area cars are getting stolen all the time :)

14. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

havent got a clue dont drive myself its a toyota aygo 56 plate if that makes sense she dosent no anyone who she could put on the insurance for her :)

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Not strictly true re the Y reg thing btw, think it varies company to company. Some insurers take older cars to have something more likely to go wrong with them hence supposedly cause more accidents and be more likely to be stolen (I know, its weird I'd have never thought older cars would be nicked over newer ones but apparently they are lol!). I insured a 56 plate car for a year from Jan 2010 and only paid about £1400 my first year fully comp :)

Bless her, it is a really bad idea not to look into insurance more before buying the car. I paid almost 5K for my car and only wanted to pay 3K and take it up to 5K with insurance, but got swayed by its prettiness on the forecourt :eek:

It is really hard, especially when you have your heart set on a certain car!! I was so lucky to be the age I am and pass last year, this year I don't know if I would have got a car at all or not :nonod:

Let us know how she gets on with it all, hope it works out for you all :)

16. CharleyRogan

Yep will need insurance! £4500 on a first car? Mine was £100 and I still have it! Why did she not check out insurance prices first!

Also, if she is looking on comparison sites tell her not to choose places that say phone up to see what the monthly payments are cos they are a rip off!!! Put yourself as named driver as long as you have a good driving record, also I put mine at my mums address and it was lower!

If she can't afford it then its bad for the car just to be sat there doing nothing, she should try and shift it and buy a cheaper one!

I have a P reg 1.1 punto and mines £1400 insurance and a decent area. I got mine shot up from £800 because I couldn't pay monthly. Try Endsleigh. I will be going with them after my year is up with Admiral and mines dropped by £500 with 1 years no claims :)

17. CharleyRogan

yeah, but if you get an 01 the parts are more expensive to fix on it, plus if your cars old and breaks you wouldn't bother with insurance! Thats my logic anyway. When mines been broken into the last 2 times i didn't bother with insurance!

18. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

she never checked first because she think she knows it all my other half has drove since he was 17 an were 35 now are first car was only 500 quid an the one we have ot now is not worth much more but it gets us round im going to advertise it tomorrow for her to see if we can sell it just hope she get back what she paid for it otherwise she will have no car an be in debt :(

19. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

She really should have brought a cheap little run around and get some no claims behind her before she had a decent car, she could have got a car and paid the insurance for the price she paid for a car.

20. CharleyRogan

Just had a look and a toyota aygo is group 1 insurance! She ain't gonna get cheaper unless she gets a tatty ole banger! It will be her area and because she only had her license a short while. Could she not put her bf on as a named driver?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice