Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

car harness

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by moonface, Aug 16, 2009.

1. moonface

moonface PetForums Junior

Hi everyone.

I was wondering what age is safe to use a car harness?

Bessie is only 10 weeks can I use them from this age? I brought one in the pound shop today a "petplace" make just had to get it at that price as if it's not suitable I can just chuck it. It's a "small" size and does fit her on the smallest setting.

I plan to use one as soon as I can as she'll be in the car with me every day as I have to drive my kids to school and I feel it would be cruel to put her in the crate several times a day every day.

Is there any rule on how old they have to be to use one? Or is it just whenever they fit?

Any views on whether a harness or crate is best? Also does anyone have this make as I'm a bit wary with it being so cheap but have to say it looks fine and looks the same as the ones in Petsathome?

Appreciate your help:D

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I think they can wear one from the word go as long as it fits properly. Check it's fitting regularly as she will grow rapidly, so you may have to buy a larger size shortly.

I just bought my dog a harness, and strapped a lead around the seat belt and attached it to the harness. Saved me the money of buying a special car harness, I made my own.

Linda Brady likes this.
  3. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Honestly I don't know of an age limit but I would imagine it would be as soon as one fits properly. We have a dog the size of a small labrador and we were able to use one of her from 10 weeks old.

Now the clever little thing actually lifts her paw to get into it when she gets into the car. One of these days I'll see her doing Sudoku.

4. moonface

Aw thanks guys I was hoping you'ld say that be lovely to have her sat next to me and not in a cage!

Yes it definitely fits and is at it's smallest smallest setting I shouldn't think we'd ever need a bigger size (she's a ckcs)but will try and get another small(in case she chews this one to bits) and a medium size just in case at that price!

:D

5. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

Just be careful with the harness - I bought one for Chance and it was basically a normal harness, but with a large loop on the top to put the seat belt through. It didn't get her much room to move and being a wriggler, she managed to twist round and get stuck. The seatbelt was then wrapped tightly around her legs and if I'd had to brake hard she could have hurt herself in the tangled mess.

6. moonface

Oh ok you're worrying me now, well I'll see how it goes.
    It has a kind of long webbed piece that the seatbelt goes through so there won't be room to move we'll only be doing short journeys for a while anyway but I'll be careful.
    Still it strikes me that a harness must be safer then sitting in a crate where they could be flung from one end to the other against metal.:confused:

7. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I would take kitchen roll with you just in case she is sick in the car,one of our dogs is car sick sometimes and for that reason we crate him whenever we take him in the car.

8. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

That sounds similar to the one I had. The problem was the lack of room to move - she didn't like being confined and I had to release her whilst doing 70mph on the motorway. Luckily she just shrugged it off and went to sleep on the seat

9. lynn9994

lynn9994 PetForums Junior

I got a harness for my dogs and it fits to the seat belt but they have plenty of room to move along the seat if they want. I got it at wilkingsons. It was £7.99 and is very sturdy.

10. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

My dog doesnt mind his i got one as he would climb about whilst i was driving and having no room for a crate i had to either have someone in with me or get the harness.teddy just let me put his on him and jumps in and sits ther while i attach the seatbelt and is so well behaved. just lies down and goes sleep now. its got padding on his over his chest and that.

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I don't know what the harness you've got is like, but for safety it should have a thick padded area that runs between the front legs, not just webbing. If you've got an approved car harness that can stand up to an accident from a pound shop - well, I'm envious!

12. freddies_mum

freddies_mum PetForums Member

My two have the Pets at Home harnesses. They are pretty good and have a separate loop which goes around the seatbelt. When Freddie was a pup he wriggled too much and would end up pinned to the seat but now they are both fine on them. It is so much better than them being loose in the car (which they used to be!).

13. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Mabel's is a padded Ancol harness. It fits like a glove but does not go through the seatbelt (I think). I prefer the attachment below. It clips on to the harness and the other bit goes into the seatbelt buckle. Apparently if you use a harness for walking your dog you can just use the attachment to convert it to a car harness. It's just long enough to give her enough room to lie down completely but not enough for her to bounce around. Not that she would anyway, she knows the car means she has to lie down.

It works VERY well. OH had to completely lay on the breaks a few months back when a child ran into the road. Mabel stayed completely safe. She moved forward but not enough to throw her around the back seat or down behind the drivers or passengers seat.

When we were going on the ferry to Ireland the man at customs even said "well done" for having her in a proper harness. He said just before us was a car with a woman who had 2 little dogs on her lap in the front seat with her.

[​IMG]

#13 TabbyRoad, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  14. moonface

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You can use a walking harness to restrain the dog in the car, (better than nothing) but the harnesses that are safe to use in the event of an impact have to be crash tested (on dummies) and approved. Normal walking harnesses could injure a dog that's being thrown about in a bad crash. It's got to be worth shelling out a few extra pounds for a proper safe car harness.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice