Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Car Dashboard Light has come on :/

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Apr 14, 2011.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

It looks like a fuel injector light. Is it just simply a fuel injector problem or could it be something else? I have been smelling petrol the last couple of days from it but had it checked over and told that the fuel system was fine and it was running a bit rich (I never put that super unleaded stuff in, just 'cheapo' stuff), but now this light has come on!

How much to get fuel injectors sorted out, and is it a big job? Its a Punto 55 SX 1.1 1997

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I can't help you Charley. You know more about cars than I do.

But what always works for me is ignoring the light and continuing to assess at regular intervals whether or not my vehicle is moving.

Still moving = Car is fine.
    Stops moving = Call my dad or the AA.
    :D

Sorry I can't be of any further assistance.

3. CharleyRogan

Thats what I did when I overheated my engine and caused headgasket failure. Had I have done something about the water pump that would not have happened!!! Hahaha

I would normally drive it till I broke down, but in this case I don't wanna blow up! :D :D

4. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Good thinking. From my point of view though, I just think, "Hey, if I save enough on repairs, I can buy another car when it's stops working".

Seriously...I just about know how to top up my screenwash. Terrible for a mechanics son.

However, if you want some red carpet highlights and a brazilian blowdry in your hair...look no further.

With me in your life you will look fabulous everyday, even if it does mean using public transport. ;)

Hope someone comes along to help you with the car issue soon.
    xx

5. Bandy

Bandy Banned

Take it to a shop and have the codes read.

Nowadays, they can hook a hand held to your car and read the comp on board.
    It will give codes that tell them what the problem is.
    It could be as simple as a light that comes on at predetermined intervals to have your car given a once over...in which case they can just reset the relay......OR....it could really be an indicator of something amiss.

Running rich can be adjusted as well. Save you on fuel costs.

Hope that helps.

6. CharleyRogan

I can do basic checking oil, break fluid and know when a head gasket has gone and replacing some bits if its take screws out and put the new one on stuff like that, can change a wheel and have done a service on my car with a bit of help. My dad has bought me a 1.6 Megane Coupe which I am getting on Friday, but I wanna fix this fiat so I can sell it!

I got pulled over for a broken brake light bulb and was told to get it fixed in next 3 days..... its still broken as I don't know how to get the light off!

7. CharleyRogan

Yeah was told lambda sensor was the causing it to run rich, but no so sure now because the light has come on. I'm gonna have a look at the spark plugs and all that in the morning as its coming up 2am and its all dark!

8. CharleyRogan

Can I clean it myself or is it a garage job?

9. LyndaDanny

LyndaDanny PetForums Senior

Is the car juddering whilst you drive? Mine was, and the engine light was on. I had to have all the fuel injectors replaced and I am waiting to have a new oxygen sensor fitted (all under warranty thank God). I thought it was the spark plug leads. The garage told me I was lucky the engine hadn't seized. It's a Ford SportKa 1.6 SE.

10. CharleyRogan

Nope it's not juddering. Running perfectly fine just light flashes on and off every 5 seconds or so!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice