Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can't take it anymore!!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tink82, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I have a lovely feature wall in my living room. Pepsi has gone from ruining my woodword to eating the wall paper. He has ripped all the paper, I can't replace it as the paper is discontinued, I only decorated a few months ago.

I was getting ready this morning and noticed he has done the same in my bedroom, pooped under my bed (which he NEVER does) and on the stairs. He is back to attacking the doors and skirting boards. I don't think I can put up with it for much longer. I love the crazy little guy to bits but I just don't know what to do :crying:

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

is he nuetered?

how about making him a pen in the area he is allowed? or if all fails maybe making him an outdoor bun?

3. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Not yet, I didn't really want to go down that road cos he was always a complete angel, I'm getting together the pennies to have him done though :(

I thought about getting him done and getting him a doe as I think he is bored. He has toys he wont touch, he isn't a bunny that likes being picked up and comes to you when he wants fuss.

Everyone keeps saying put him outside but I can't bear the thought of him being outside, I know it sounds daft, I love having him in the house. As naughty as he can be, he has me laughing every day with the daft things he does :crying:

He did have a big run in the pantry but it began to smell in there (still does, we can't work out why though) and every night we had the trauma of getting him back in it, it was just silly and we scared him. I would be covered in scratches (some pretty nasty ones) he hates being picked up

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i think he will probably calm down once he is done.

i hope things sort out for you hun x

5. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I really hope so, I'd adore another one but I don't think I could put up with twice the distrusction, there will be nothing left of my little house otherwise

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think neutering would be your best option, although it may not cure his destructive behaviour.

This is why i gave up having mine as house rabbits. They have been so much happier outside, and i no longer have a wrecked house.

7. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I'll get him done first and then look into moving him outside if he doesn't stop. I really really don't want to but I will if necessary, it took almost a year to decorate my house and he has ruined it in a few weeks. I think my next step is an indoor cage for him to go in at night as I currently don't have one. He is in the living room at night then all the doors are opened for him during the day

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It certainly would be a good idea to shut him away at night, and perhaps when you arent there. This will minimise the damage, as when he is out you will be there to supervise him. You could always get a dog crate, as some indoor cages are rather small for the price you pay.

What sorts of toys and things to wreck does he have?

9. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

Well I was going to put him back into the pantry at night but it's a lot of effort catching him to put him in, and he shakes when I catch him which makes me feel bad.

He has a big tunnel, loads of sticks, a willow ball that he only seems to play with when it's rolled into him, I leave out paper for him as he likes to attack it, when he is allowed upstairs in the daytime he like to run around the boxes under my bed (it's like a little warren) I have tried lots of little things here and there but he just is not interested. I think maybe he is lonely

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Possibly. No amount of human affection and attention can replace what animals naturally get from their own species. My pair spend all day together, grooming eachother, following eachother, getting into trouble together.

11. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

That's what I was thinking, he loves his strokes but I think he needs someone to play with in the day time. I'm seriously considering it when he is done but Im worried it will all go wrong and I'd have to give the new rabbit up again :( I hope not though, he has such a lovely personality, he is rarely aggresive and only nips when he is annoyed, very curious but scares easily which is quite funny, he tries to be the big man and as soon as he hears a noise he is not sure of he is behind the sofa :D always on his back legs having a nose, he is really lovely

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If you want to get another rabbit, the best thing to do is have your boy neutered, then contact a rabbit rescue. They will often help you with the bonding process, and will help you choose a bun to suit your needs. Id advise you to choose an out going and friendly doe. From my experience, rabbits learn from example. My current doe was a bag of nerves when i got her, but as my buck is extremely people orientated and friendly, she has learnt not to be so fearful, and copies what he does.
    I never force my rabbits to be stroked or fussed, they are free to do as they wish. But she is all over me now when i go out in the garden, and will sit next to me to have her ears rubbed. Rabbits should always be given the choice when it comes to handling and affection, forcing it upon them can cause more issues. Of course we do all have to pick them up against their will at times :)

13. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I can't remember the last time I picked him up. I sit by him and stroke his head which he loves, if he gets bored first he just walkes off :rolleyes: has a shake and carries on with what he was doing, in the evenings he jumps on the sofa to say hello, rarely stays long though!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice