Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can't stop crying

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Vixmar, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Vixmar

Vixmar PetForums Newbie

I took Leo to the vet yesterday for x-rays. He has thyroidism and lately been unable to use his left back leg. The vet thought it might be a fracture in his pelvis. The leg seems dead and he couldn't stand - was simply dragging himself along.

I spent the day worrying and then went to pick him up at 4pm.

The vet said he was a very bright little cat. Unfortunately no fracture so there was nothing to be done! She suggested I take him home and just let him do what he could. She also said he would not get better and they thought he had a tumour pressing against his pelvis, As she had seem him a week before she thought it was only a matter of weeks I would have my little boy with me.

I took him home but he seemed worse. Still purring and demanding I pick him up. When I lifted him off the couch the couch was wet with wee. I felt so bad. Poor little mite.

I made my decision this morning when he would not even eat. Still he was purring and wanting to sit with me.

I phoned the vets immediately they opened and took him down there. They were very good and let me hold him while they put him to sleep for the final time.

I cant stop crying. I know it was the right thing to do but it was so hard and I am so heartbroken.

Thank you to those in the last few days who gave me help regarding his thyroid problem.

Sleep well my little one wherever you are.

2. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry :(

R.I.P Leo and look out for my Foxy

3. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear about your loss its very sad. You have done the kindest thing for your little boy and you know he is not in pain anymore. Its very early days but try and think about the happy memories and the times he made you smile and laugh.Those memories will help you get through this awful time.

RIP little guy.

Izzie

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh no! I am so so sorry. It is a very hard decision to make.

Sleep well little mite!

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Im so very very sorry to hear about Leo :( huge hugs & RIP little paws xxx

6. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I'm welling up now. You did the right thing though. Cats are very self respecting animals and he would't have wanted to carry on like that. My thoughts are with you.

7. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

Ditto - am welling up too. You poor thing, and how brave and strong of you to make this decision. I send you hugs and my thoughts are with you. Bless your little paws.

8. Vixmar

Vixmar PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done. My mother died badly from cancer and I could not bear the thought of my furry one suffering. To be fair he luckily never seemed in pain and was the bravest cat I ever owned. His brother Max is getting extra hugs today.

The OH is at work but is devastated - he told Leo this morning as he kissed him goodbye that it was a priveledge to have been with him. Never a truer word.

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

It's so heart breaking and i am shedding a few tears myself because i know how it feels.
    You know you did the kindest thing and he would know that.
    Memories of him will soon make you smile again, although you might not think it right now.
    Im afraid this is the down side of being a animal lover, but it is the only one and i myself will always have a furry friend to love and cherish.

My thoughts are with you.
    R.I.P Leo and run free at rainbow bridge xx

10. gemini

gemini PetForums Member

Oh Vixmar, I am almost in tears reading this. You made a very brave decision and did what was best for Leo despite the fact that it broke your heart.

RIP Leo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice