Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can't seem to get through to my son

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 29, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Not to play with the dogs when i am not in the room. And it is really bugging me.

We had a bit of time where if I said 'leave the dog/cat' he would.

But he seems to be doing it because it annoys me.

Last week we had a big conversation about playing with dogs when I am not there and strange dogs and I thought he seemed to get it, as after if I asked him why he does not play with strange dogs in the park he will tell me because they might bite. Same with playing with my pair when I am not there.

He has never got too rough with the dogs, but I do not want him playing with them when I can't supervise.

I started off reminding him a few times a day but I would go into the kitchen and he must think I cannot hear if I am through an open door, because he was soon on the floor screaming and laughing with Dixie, so I come back through and put him on the naughty step

But he just keeps on doing it! I don't want to have to keep putting the dogs in their beds, I just nipped upstairs to check he had tidied his room, and came back down to hear him screaming and laughing with Dixie again so opened the door and gave him a fright, told him loudly not to play with the dogs when I am not there and sent him to his room.

Any other thing we have given explanation for he had got. Like when he gets in the car he had to be reminded Every time to put his bum at the back of his seat, so one day I told him if he didn't sit in properly he might fall out, since then he has sat in it properly.
    Or after telling him once he will tell you he doesn't get in strange peoples car because they might steal him.

He is 4 by the way. Anyone got any ideas how to get through to him not to play with the dogs when I am not there? The naughty step just does not seem to be working!

x

2. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

The way I would do it is (because it seems that your son and Dixie have a really fun relationship) is to make sure he gets to have uber fun with Dixie when you are around :) x make it a rule that if you are there he can have as much fun as he like with her/him :confused: xx so instead of making playing with her a bad thing (naughty step for him and bed for her/him) it becomes a good thing which can only bring them closer together x

I have the same with my lad although he is 10 the dogs won't leave him alone and all he ends up doing is laughing - I make sure that the time he spends playing I am there I also taught him very early on to play some of the training games and commands like down stay and fetch :) my Drym loves Robin and follows him around when he is here

Good luck lovely girl
    Mel x x x

3. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Personally I'd invest in some childproof safety gates, but then again I have these and my dogs have been known to jump them :eek:

4. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

when i was younger i was told that if i tryed to play with they dogs when they was resting i might upset them and get bitten, it was true and it worked, i never disturbed the dogs when they were asleep, maybe you could tell your son that plying with the dogs when your not there might upset the dogs and they wont like him anymore, its a bit mean but the thought that the dogs might not like him might be enough, as long as you let them play when you are around.

or you could just tell him the truth that he might get hurt if your not there

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thanks, some great ideas :)

The safety gates he can open/climb and the dogs can jump, but I could make the rules there, though I am sure at first Dixie will jump. But- I am trying to get back into fostering so will probably get a gate anyway. At least then I will feel like the dogs are in the room but they will be confined to the kitchen/dining room.

It could be Dixie too..... She does have an annoying habit of misbehaving the instant I am on the phone as she knows when its someone like my mum and I won't tell her to behave!

But my son does know commands with the dogs and they dolisten to him (Dixie more than Dave) she will 'get off' (him or the couch) 'sit' 'lie down' and 'fetch' for him.

Ok, so maybe I let him interact with him a bit more when I am here, and on walks. I use 2 leads on her a shorter one for me and a longer one for him so I have the control of her but he gets to hold the lead :)

x

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

You can get extra tall baby/dog gates, I have one in the house to seperate the dogs from the dining room when we are eating, mine haven't jumped these so far and even my eldest struggles to open it :D We brought ours from Amazon.

7. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

My little lad is 3 and 1/2 and he thinks it's hilarious to wind our Boxer up and have her chasing him round. Then she knock him over and he moans. I can't seem to get through to him either, he drives me mad as he only does it when i'm not near him.

8. bird

bird PetForums VIP

While I cant offer any advice, you have my utmost sympathy as I have the same problem with grandmonster who's 5 next week should she still be living then :eek: :D

9. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I agree with the safety gate as I have one of these also.

It will also take time for the message to get through and 4 years olds have a notoriously bad memory when it comes to things they shouldn't be doing. He'll get there!

10. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

a good old fashioned smack on the rear sounds like a plan to me.. certainly worked for me and my bro when we were that age.

11. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I know where you are coming from. We had the same problem with our 4 year old. In the end we got a tall dog gate (like a baby gate but taller) and it works most of the time.

Our 4 and 6 year old still go up to strange dogs to fuss with them, even tho I have told them they might bite. Unfortunately they see no danger because all the dogs they know are friendly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice