Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can't help being a bit uneasy about this...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Owned By A Yellow Lab, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

There is a very nice family who live somewhere near me and who own a stunning DDB (Dogue de Bordeaux). Lovely boy - fab with people BUT not good with other dogs... I first met this dog when I saw him tied up outside local shops and I couldn't resist approaching; I ended up sitting on the pavement with him enjoying a lovely hug :D

Lately they've started bringing him to our local park and they are very responsible and keep him on the lead the entire time. Because I already knew the dog slightly I always keep a look out and ensure Dex is on lead the second I see them.

But... now they have started leaving the dog tied up just outside the park playground; This is quite close by to the park cafe where the dogs' water bowls are kept. It is also at the top of a field in which many dogs love running and playing together - 99% of them are off lead.

The other day one of Dex's mates, a lovely but very boisterous Lab x Staffie was just about to go zooming over to the DDB but I warned the owner. I fear it's only a matter of time before one or more dogs decide to investigate this newcomer - I really feel for the dog, alone for ages outside the kids' playground.

Now, I totally appreciate that none of us should allow our dogs to approach the DDB *but* I think it's inevitable, given that there is nothing warning that the DDB is not good with other dogs. He's not muzzled, there is nobody with him, he simply sits or stands there very quietly...

However, when Dex's friend was staring at him the other day, and the DDB was staring back, it was like High Noon........

Would you be a bit uneasy?

#1 Owned By A Yellow Lab, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  2. SidneyFrankie

SidneyFrankie PetForums Member

One of my pet hates is dogs tied up outside playgrounds. The amount of kids I have seen hugging strange dogs is shocking. My two children know not to approach unknown dogs, but apparently locally I'm the minority.

If he is tethered to a fence, would he technically be ' under control' if it did kick off with a dog who was offlead?

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Theres a few people who do this at our park but they are normally no further than 10-15m from their dog which is tied to the playground railings.

To be honest it doesnt bother me - and makes no difference if the thethered dog is friendly or not. I just put Millie on a lead as we get close enough that she may be tempted to be nosey and say hi.

As long as Dex is under control then I wouldnt worry.

As long as they are keeping an eye on their dog - That their dog is relaxed happy enough thethered / not stressed aggrevated and causing a commotion which would likely attract other dogs then I wouldnt be worried.

But then its quite normal here to have 3-4 dogs lying patiently by the playground as families/ children play and as unknown dogs I dont know if they are friendly or not. May be different at your local park.

4. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Our nearest Tesco's is in a town where it's surrounded by countryside, so more often than not people walk their dogs first, then pop into Tesco's to do their shopping. There's a bench where some people sit with their dogs but others just seem to tie them up. There are about 6 different posts where dogs can be tied and quite often there are 6 dogs tethered.

I've sat in the car with my dogs while my husband has gone in to pick up a few things and watched them, some people are in and out in no time, buying newspapers or such, but others come out with trolley loads of shopping, collect their dog and off they go.

Makes me wonder what some people are thinking about. But people will never cease to amaze me with their stupidity at times, or, they don't want to leave them in cars.:confused:

5. Rah

Rah PetForums Senior

This is terribly sad for the DDB. Because it will be his life lost if he reacts to a dog.

Could we start a petition to put owners to sleep?!

I don't think his situation would be deemed in control. Because he's not controlling the situation and by the sounds of it neither are his owners.

SJ

6. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

I would be concerned for the local dogs who's owners don't know that this DDB isn't great with dogs, all it takes is for them to walk past with their dog not paying much attention for a fight to start! In an ideal world every owner would use their common sense and not let their dog approach an unattended dog when they don't know it's temperament but we all know that some owners can be a bit silly. :rolleyes:

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I am totally gobsmacked that you are concerned about the behaviour of other people and their dogs in the same breath as stating that you approached this dog for the first time when it was tied up outside a shop and had a hug with him.?

Perhaps you ought to consider some behavioural modification on yourself before concerning yourself with the actions of others? :confused:

I would NEVER tie my dogs up anywhere due to several reasons, one of them being people like you...........................

8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Have to agree with Smokeybear on this one.

It is worrisome that someone would leave a dog tied out - am I understanding that the dog is also unattended? Yes, worrying. Are there laws about this? If so I would certainly be reporting this, especially if its near where children play.

However, equally worrying is that someone would approach a tied up dog, sit down next to him and hug him! Plenty of dogs don’t care for hugs regardless of how friendly they appear!

My morning walk includes having to walk by three sets of tied up dogs. Not only do I ignore them, I instruct my dogs to do the same. Not even look at them.

9. Ploppy

Ploppy PetForums Member

One thing that turns my stomach is people tying their dogs up somewhere public and leaving them. Sure it might be necessary if you're in a pinch, but once it becomes a habit, why take the bloody thing out if you're just going to tie it up somewhere?

Given that my dog is a puppy and therefore small and fragile, I would indeed be exceptionally uneasy for the safety of my dog.

Once my dog's big enough to give as good as it gets, I'd just be angry at the ignorant, selfish owner leaving their dog unwatched where it's at risk of being savaged or killed, after provoking another dog while it's tied up and vulnerable.

Either way, this could result in a dog getting injured or killed, and as you say, it really is only a matter of time unless they stop being so bloody stupid.

Personally, I'd report this. Not entirely sure WHO to report it to, but there must be someone.

Based on what you wrote, it basically sounds like they dumped their dog-aggressive dog right in the middle of an area designed to contain uncontrolled dogs and children.

10. Booties

Booties PetForums Senior

May have misunderstood here, so bear with me, it's late;

I don't know if I just live in a particularly laid-back area, but it is completely normal and acceptable for people to tie their dogs while they pop into the shops here? Perhaps because it's a rural area so it's a fair walk into town for some people and it makes sense for them to multitask...

The dogs tied are, of course, well-behaved and well-trained- obviously their owners trust them not to be aggressive, etc.
    But I'm a little confused as to why some of you seem to be saying it's horrific to leave any dog tied up in any situation. They're not being mentally tortured, tied to a post for 4 days without water... They're being restrained for 10 minutes max. while their owner picks up their morning paper and a pint of milk. :s
    Provided the dog is people-friendly, and no idiots decide to harass it, this is no different to me than leaving a dog in a pen at home or similar control techniques. Even if someone were to stand outside with the dog on-leash while the other person shopped, there's no guarantee that the dog won't whine, tug, bark, be approached, etc.

I know this wasn't the original topic- I'm completely against people leaving aggressive dogs unattended in any situation, especially near children/other animals, and I think a "gentle word" may need to be had here... I also agree that dogs should not be tied up for prolonged periods of time, you don't have to take it to the monthly-shop with you.
    I'm just confused, as tying up a "docile" (for want of a better word) dog is every day behaviour for 99% of owners here...

#10 Booties, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  11. Ploppy

Ploppy PetForums Member

The bolded bit is why I'm against it, personally.
    Too many stories hit the news about a group of little turds annoying a dog that's tied up, or stealing it, or killing it, or torturing it.

Also, what might be a friendly dog may have unexpected responses to certain conditions, especially when it's tied up and unable to leave the situation.

For example, when I'm at the park with my puppy, children ranging from toddlers to 10 year olds will occasionally make unannounced visits to pat the cute puppy.
    I find the smallest, least intelligent ones tend to have this universal trait where they stick their hand right into the dog's face to pat it.
    Since their parents are clearly inept enough to allow them to pat a strange dog, let alone teach them proper patting protocol, I've recently taken to educating the kids myself about why dogs don't like you sticking your fingers in their eye. Normally I try not to interfere with other peoples' parenting philosophies, but I care about my dog too much to have her put down for exhibiting an entirely justifiable evolutionary response to the physical embodiment of a threat to her eyes.

However, while she's fine with kids of all ages paying her attention, she does get distressed when a face grabber tries to touch her, and moves away from them.
    Since there's never a parent near the face grabber to tell it to leave the dog alone, their next move is invariably to get the doggy back within face grabbing range. Fortunately for them, I'm there to tell them not to approach a dog that is actively trying to avoid them, as it can be dangerous.
    But what if I'm not there?

I have a theory that the majority of "wicked dog biting innocent child" cases happen exactly that way. A face grabber bothering a dog that's restrained and can't get away from them, with nobody nearby to feed some common sense into them to leave the dog alone.

As I said it doesn't bother me if people just have to quickly do something, but if I just had to quickly nip into the local shop for morning supplies every morning, I'd either work out a system where I buy them the night before, buy them in bulk if possible, or politely ask the shop owner if I can bring the dog in for a few minutes since I'm a regular customer and we're probably on first name terms anyway.

#11 Ploppy, Nov 26, 2012
    Firedog likes this.
  12. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I know of a person who left her dog tied outside a shop, it was well trained and had never shown aggression towards people. When she got out she saw some people gathered and the long and short of it was that her dog had badly bitten a woman on the leg. No one will ever know what really happened bar the woman that was bitten as it wasn't witnessed. The dog was sadly PTS.

How is the incident above preferable to leaving your dog safely at home or someone standing outside with it? You can stop people approaching if you are stood outside - I have to do it fairly regularly when they rush up fast and loudly, hands outstretched ready to put straight over my dog's head :rolleyes:. He is aloof with strangers and doesn't enjoy being touched by the majority of them until he is allowed to make the approach / have a sniff first etc.

I would never, ever tie him outside a shop. A DA pug is regularly tied outside the nursery here and has a good snap, snarl, bark at any dog that passes - very cruel as the dog is clearly stressed and the owner is leaving it vulnerable and exposed on a path.

#12 Dogless, Nov 26, 2012
  13. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

People tie dogs up outside shops pretty frequently here and it always, always makes me angry. For all the reasons mentioned.

I will never leave my dog outside a shop even for a minute. For me and my dog, the biggest danger is theft - I'd only need to take my eyes of her for a second for someone to untie her/unclip her lead, pick her up and walk off with her. It would never be worth the risk.

Sorry gone a bit off topic!

14. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

This thread seems to have derailed to dogs outside shops lol.

Personally I think a dog tied to a playground railing where the owner is within sight / 10-15m away from the dog for instance is very very different to leaving a dog out of sight outside shop? Il admit ive done it to millie when playing with my nephew - If someone moaned at me because their dog may approach mine id tell them to worry about controling their dog and not mine.

I mean surely its the responsibility of other dog owners to keep their dog away from a thethered dog just like they would an onlead one?

I obs dont know if the ddb owner in question is keeping an eye on their dog or how much of an eye they are keeping.

Just that in situations where I have thethered Millie or walked near thethered dogs in our local rec no it doesnt worry me as such.

At least these dogs are making it to the parks with their families- Lots dont.

#14 Milliepoochie, Nov 26, 2012
  15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oops completely derailed :eek: I agree, being tethered by a playground is somewhat different to being outside a shop. It probably depends how busy the area is etc too.

But tethering a dog that is known to be DA, and not being particularly close at hand/watching your dog every moment, is asking for trouble IMO. I agree that other dogs shouldn't approach a tethered dog, just like an onlead one, without permission. But in reality it only takes one dog that 'just wants to play' and there's the potential for real danger, and if the owner is some way away/not watching the situation is going to be much worse than if they were actually with their dog.

16. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

I could never leave either of my boys like that.

On top of the concerns that others have already raised, I would also be concerned that someone might try and take the dog.

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

A lot of dogs change when tied up so could be aggressive to either people or dogs. But why should they not tie their dog up while their child is playing. It is up to others to keep their dogs under control surely. Unless the dog in question is so bad that it is going to lunge out at someone passing by with a dog on the lead of course.

As for shops, a lot of people tie their dogs up outside shops round here. Some even leave them loose outside the door at the supermarkets. One dog managed to sneak into Lidl the other day as someone went in! The owner came out a few moments later and luckily someone told him where his dog was :biggrin:
    The only thing that annoys me is the number of dogs, particularly collies, that are tied up right by the door so everyone has to push by them to get in.

18. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

I had a bad encounter only the other month, and i was totally fuming.
    A little dog about the size of a jack russel but with lots of fluffy hair was tied up outside the shop.

Me and my 4 year old daughter were walking down the road minding our own business as we passed the little dog it lunged at my daughters face and tried to bite her. If my daughter had not put her hands over her face he would have caught her.

I decided that i would stand outside the shop and wait for the owner. I stood around for about 10 minutes, and saw a few parents with there children have nr misses with the little dog.

The owner eventually came out the shop, and i said "i thought i had better let you know you dog snaps at people passing it" the owners reply was "oh yea i know she been like it since she was a pup"

:mad: "erm so why are you leaving her outside a shop unattended then?"

Her reply "well she is only little i doubt she could do much harm"

I then proceeded to tell her that if my child had been bitten i would not have been impressed. but it fell in deaf ears.

I ended up chatting to the shop owner about how irresponsible and infuriating the lady was and he agreed.He also said he had told her she was not allowed to tie her dog up outside the shop as there had been lots of near misses.

Only about 2 days ago i went into the shop to be told the dog had to be destroyed as it had bitten a baby passing in her pram. The dog had managed to bite the babys hand and tore all the skin.

19. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

SMOKEY BEAR:

Thanks for the insults.

Common to what you clearly believe, I am not an idiot and no - of course I didn't just go up to a strange dog and throw my arms around it!

The second I looked at the dog he was wagging his tail and it was very, very clear that he wanted to engage - I may not be as experienced as you (after all, who is? ;) ) but I have been around dogs all my life and I do recognise a friendly dog (friendly with people) when I meet one!

And clearly my perception was TOTALLY ACCURATE because the owners confirmed that their dog loves people.

I see many dogs tied up by our local shops - I only ever approach very carefully and so far my judgement has been spot on regarding which dogs are friendly and which are not.

So kindly modify (to use your word ) YOUR tone.

EDITED TO ADD:

Having read through the other posts it seems I did not describe clearly what happened at the shops.

So to clarify:

I did NOT simply wander up to a tethered DDB and throw my arms around him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had already seen this dog several times interacting with both people and very young children - so I knew he was good with people. I approached him very, very carefully but frankly, the dog was SO friendly and keen to engage that yes, I did ***end up*** eventually sitting on the ground enjoying cuddles with him. I assume the DDB was also enjoying it given that he ended up lying on the pavement in front of me, on his back, getting a nice tummy rub from me...........!

The other day I also carefully approached an adorable Staffie tied up by our local shops - he was so friendly he ended up sitting on my lap. Perhaps SMOKEY BEAR or any of the other folk who 'liked' her criticisms of me would like to chastise me for this also.......?

#19 Owned By A Yellow Lab, Nov 26, 2012
    redginald likes this.
  20. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

my dad used to tie up his dog outside the shop until one day when she snarled and tried to bite someone, he has never done it since. She is one of those dogs that most people would describe as docile and people friendly, but just takes a dislike to the odd person and can be quite threatening. So I think it's a pretty dodgy thing to do regardless of how lovely your dog is.
    However the OP doesn't make clear if the dogs owner is nearby watching at all, and if they are watching then it is a different issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice