Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can't get rid of this feeling

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ForestWomble, Aug 8, 2020.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Do any of you ever get a feeling that you can't explain like excitement or dread, or any other feeling, that you just can't shake, yet have no idea why you feel that way?

Yesterday was fine, day was good, yet as I was getting ready for bed I had a strong feeling of dread, I didn't get much sleep last night, and the feeling has continued, I just can't shake off this feeling.

As asked above, have any of you ever felt like this and how do you deal with it?

I have had times like this before and the feeling has ended when something that would cause that emotion happens, but not always, sometimes the feeling just goes away and nothing happens. I wish it would just go away.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

It sounds like anxiety; I suffer with this, and it just comes on for no reason.

If there’s no reason for your anxiety (and it can be really weird or minor things) then I just deal with it by telling myself that it’s just my brain out of synch a bit and that it’ll pass.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t get this, thankfully, but you have been dealing with a lot lately with your Gran etc. so could it be that that is playing on your mind?

I saw something on tv the other morning that said Square Breathing can help to calm anxiety and stress.

Might be worth Googling?

4. ForestWomble

Thank you. Sadly I am no stranger to anxiety, mine doesn't normally show itself like this but that's not to say that isn't the issue.

Thank you. True, Hopefully that's all it is.

I'll google that.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I do get these feelings occasonally , usually when I'm overtired and generally anxious, along with feelngs that no-one likes me. it is horrble but it does pass. I know I'm loved really !
    As @Lurcherlad says you've had a lot to contend with recently, time to be kind to yourself.

6. ForestWomble

Sorry to hear that, glad it passes for you.

I can't sleep and have just had a good cry, hopefully that's released whatever this is. I need a me day tomorrow I think.

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes I suffer from GAD, generalized anxiety disorder, just like what you describe. It's quite debilitating sometimes. I won't take addictive medications for it so I've tried to learn coping skills but I don't usually remember what they are during the dread period. I do keep a bottle of Rescue Remedy in the house at all times. If I remember to take it, it can help take the edge off.

8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

ForestWomble likes this.
  9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes as others have said this is often linked to my anxiety often a feeling of dread or doom. It quite often makes me tearful. I try and keep to a normal routine as much as possible or keep busy. Do you have a favourite TV show ? The Vicar of Dibly always makes me feel better.

10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I use to suffer very badly with depression and felt like often, so I know how that feels. It's taken years to over come it and I'm off my medication now but I do still have bad days which I have had learnt to manage and I refuse to go back on any medication. I just try to take a deep breath and carry on it's hard sometimes but it's something I've learnt to live with.

Mum2Heidi, lorilu and ForestWomble like this.
  11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think its sometimes also called free floating anxiety, when you feel anxious/scared for no discernable reason. I do get that at times and sometimes my brain will latch onto to the idea of bad things happenings because of the feeling (poor dogs have missed a few days walks coz Ive been convinced they would be attacked if I took them out!:rolleyes:).
    TBH though its much better now then when I was younger, also had quite bad depression which also got better. I actually wonder how big a role hormones play in mental health as I think thats a big trigger for me.
    If I feel stressed though I try to lose myself in a book, film or tv show for a while.:)

Mum2Heidi and ForestWomble like this.
  12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I sometime get what I called brain freeze when I can't get my head round anything, it takes ages for it go away.

Mum2Heidi and ForestWomble like this.
  13. ForestWomble

I am sorry to hear that, I too have GAD and am used to a constant feeling of anxiety, but not used to this. I do have RR here, I'll take some and see if that helps.

Thank you. Never heard of it, I shall take a look.

Sorry to hear that. That's my go to strategy, keep busy, but its been so hot the last few days that's not been as easy. Yes, I have some favourite TV shows, think I might, whats the word, 'binge'? watch The Good Life or Stargate or something this afternoon.

Sorry to hear that, but well done for overcoming it and getting off the meds.

Glad its better for you but sorry to hear you feel this way too.
    I wonder if hormones play a part too as I'm worse at certain times.
    I do like getting lost in a good book or tv show/film.

lorilu likes this.
  14. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Yes, I've had it on and off (mostly on) since having George. I've had it before as well. It's like a dark cloud is over everything and even when I'm doing something I enjoy the dark cloud of doom is still hovering over, reminding me that bad stuff might happen any moment. It's exhausting.

ForestWomble likes this.
  15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Grief is a strange thing and I suspect that could be it.
    You can only deal with so much at a time and it happens in stages.
    I know how to deal with it. Recognise the feelings, and allow myself to feel them without analysing etc.
    Eventually it becomes clear and I move on.
    After 6 years I thought I was done and a few weeks ago I felt like you.
    This time I started questioning and analysing, tormenting myself. Getting upset, wanting my OH back
    ..but I’d done all that before????.
    Then walking Heidi I saw a couple my age sat having a coffee.
    They got up, he carried the back pack with the flask etc.....just like OH used to and I realised
    I haven’t yet grieved for the life I once had.:)
    Knowing that I immediately felt a lot better and remembered the time he forgot to pack the milk:D
    It’s another stage under my belt.

I hope you soon feel better.

16. ForestWomble

*HUGS* @Sairy
    *HUGS* @Mum2Heidi

I ended up deciding to do some crafting this afternoon and listen to an audiobook, feeling calmer but still have that feeling like a mist of doom is all around me.

Having read these replies I have a feeling I know what this is all about, just hope I'm wrong, for now at any rate and hope it'll lift.

Mum2Heidi and Sairy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice