Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can't decide what snake to get

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Rainboa, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Rainboa

Rainboa PetForums Newbie

I'm looking to get my first beginner snake. I have a 40 gallon tank all clean and ready, but it has a mesh top. I can buy a new one if necessary, but my budget is pretty low. I really was something like the ball python, I love the size of them and I want a more heavy bodied snake, but they seem too easily stressed and keeping humidity up in the tank with a mesh top would be challenging. Ideally, I'd like one about 4-5ft ( or at least heavy bodied ) that can fit in the 40 gallon breeder, preferably doesn't need extra humidity, and it good for beginners. Something pretty would be nice but I really don't mind. Is there any snake that fits this description? If not I might just have to go with a Cali king ( despite being a bit small ) or a ball python.

Budget is $100 on Amazon ( though I found a good amount of products for the tank for that much ) and $170 cash ( about $130-140 for the snake itself, though I have a bit extra saved so I could probably do $150 )

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  2. Spikey_31

Spikey_31 PetForums Newbie

Corn snakes are an excellent beginner snake.

The Mexican black king snakes look very cool and are fairly easy.

But both are coloubrids that are on the slimmer side.

Royals (ball pythons) are notorious for not eating. This can be due to incorrect husbandry, food size, stress etc. But usually there is a cause. I know and work with a few and most, if the husbandry is correct, eat every time, and the few that don't, eat really well all summer then don't really eat in the winter, which is common for a lot of snake species and nothing to worry about. All are fed frozen thawed, never been fed live due to it being illegal in my country unless it it detrimental to the snake to not feed them live.

Truthfully I haven't found their husbandry to be particularly difficult to get correct. One of the most common mistakes that cause them to stop eating is putting them in an enclosure that is too big and open. If you're using a glass tank with any reptile I recommend covering 3 of the sides to make the animal feel more secure and less exposed. Lots of hiding places is key as well.

If you're looking at royals though I would highly recommend avoiding spider morphs. They are prone to head wobbles. Head wobbles drasticly reduce their quality of life and make it harder for them to feed.

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  3. onlysnake

onlysnake PetForums Newbie

As the previous Spikey_31 stated, I'd recommend The Mexican Black King. Their looks are so... AWESOME! And easy to keep.

4. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

In my opinion the best size enclosure for a ball python, corn snake, larger king snakes and milk snakes and so on would be a 75 gallon or larger, ball pythons being the biggest and most heavy bodied is the reason I prefer larger sizes,and the colubrids are active and love to explore so they really do need the space.

If money is a problem for, you could always save up. The 40 gallon would work very well for the first 1-2 years. :)

Kenyan Sand Boas, and smaller sub-species of king and milk snakes and western hognoses would be fine in a 40 gallon though :)

I have had a Corn Snake, Milk Snake and currently have a Ball Python - They are all excellent snakes and to tell you the truth, I did originally want a ball python due to them being heavy bodied but went with a Honduran Milk Snake as my first. He was the best first snake I could have ever asked for, and Milk Snakes will always be close to my heart. Really, I would recommend a colubrid as a first, I know they are slim compared to ball pythons but they aren't prone to feeding strikes and don't get URIs AS easy, and are much mor forgiving of mistakes where as ball pythons are just that bit more sensitive. I have only had my Ball Python since July, and She's been on a feeding strike for almost 11 weeks now. We've been to the vet with suspected URI as well, which luckily turned out to be nothing but the vet said to keep an eye on her in case it's the beginning of one just to be safe. So they are a bit harder as you can see.

I would go for a Corn or Milk Snake or Kenyan Sand boa. They're probably the three best first snakes in my opinion :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice