UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Bizkit, 10 months, who I rescued on NYD has chewed half the plaster off the kitchen walls, my hairdryer, nearly all my tupperware and numerous other small items. Last week he got into the pantry while I was out at work ate 48 weetabix and a weeks worth of kibble in one go (didn't poo in the house though even though he was dying to go lol).

I tried coming home at dinner times and this just makes him worse and every afternoon he chewed off another massive bit of plaster, pulled the baby gate down and invaded the front room killing all my cushions. I've tried leaving him chew toys, bones Kongs, everything but if I go out for more than an hour he goes mad and wrecks the place. He's not left alone he's got another dog for company and my daughter pops in sometimes and lets them out.

When I'm at home he's a different dog. Totally well behaved leaves food alone, does as he's told and chews nothing.

I'm off work for 10 days so I've ordered a crate for delivery on Monday and will spend the week patiently crate training him. Hopefully then I will regain my sanity, sense of humour and put my bank balance back on track.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can relate to all that to, my GSD did the same sort of thing when she was younger, including ripping up the floor!!! And the best thing I did was invest in a crate!
The thing to remember is that it's not a punishment, I introduced it to her by letting her make use of it whilst I was at home, and she loved it, it gave her a private corner especially as I partly draped a blanket over it.
Good luck!

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
i wouldn;t recommend a metal-cage AKA show-crate -
as thats really all they are good for... :eek: to park a dog out of the show-ring in shade, so the passing-mob can admire a lovely dog! :lol:

metal-crates:
* rattle if the dog even breathes; very noisy
* leak + rust if the trays are metal (not water-tight)
* bend + crack if the trays are plastic (and again leak...)
* are dangerous for travel / transport, as they bend or fold on impact - :eek:
* splatter beyond the crate (food, vomit, urine, stool...) because of the flat-tray + 4 dog-feet paddling
* provide no sense of security + make anxious-dogs more so (4 open walls, and open roof, and trapped in the open... :yikes: )
* allow a pup or dog to drag stuff thru the bars (destroy or possibly ingest items...)

introducing + using:
Pet Forums Community - View Single Post - Calming Your Cerrrrrraaaaaazzzzzzzy Canine - new blog series

an airline-approved shipping-crate -
* are much quieter - if U have hardwood or tile floors, put a thick mat UNDER the crate-bottom -
it both sound-insulates + protects the dog from drafts
* one-piece bottom = no leaks; look for a RUNOFF-trough framing a raised center-section; the dog need not lie in a spill.
* are perfect for travel: safe, tested for burst-strength, do not rupture on impact :thumbup:
* no splatters!
* nice cushy enclosed-feeling; comforting to dogs (does Ur dog go under the coffee-table? bed? behind the sofa? :D
now U know why... dogs LIKE enclosed spaces to feel safe + relax in... )
* solid-walls mean draperies, slipcovers, wires, leash on the roof, etc, are SAFE from canine-cuisine experiments -
even better, the pup or dog is safe from ingesting them, or electric-shocks from chewing cords, etc.

happy training,
--- terry

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Funny then how I never hear Luna in her crate whilst she's breathing and it's right next to my bedroom :rolleyes:

She has a layer of carpet and a lovely piece of vet bed in there so it's very comfy. The cage itself is thicker than the ones I've seen in shops which is great. It's very sturdy.

She's not got anything through the bars though common sense would tell you not to put anything near the crate wouldn't it?

She's not become more anxious. The crate was introduced properly and I put a blanket over it now and again. With the blanket or without there's no difference. She goes in, rearranges her bed (I can NEVER do it to her standards :lol:), she has a pat on the head and then she goes to sleep.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've ordered one of those same as Luna's but 42 inches.

My old dog had one of those and we never had any trouble with it. Had it 10 + years and still no rust, it's just not big enough for Bizkit but still use it in the car boot to stop mini JRT jumping through the dog guard and all over the seats.

My house is very small with small doorways. I wouldn't be able to move one of those enclosed ones from room to room, so I'm going for the cage type which folds flat and I'll lay an old blanket over it because blankets are about the only thing he doesn't chew :lol:

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
have a lovely crate, dear... (waving, belly-up, :p ) its all Urs! :thumbup:

G

·
how long will the dog be locked in the crate for? if its more that a couple of hours max in the day then its cruel, you'd be much kinder building him some kind of pen on the garden.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
just out of interest... you saying crating a dog for more than a few hours is not right ... but what about at night, that's 8 hours + (depending on if I have a lie in).... I know she's asleep but I don't understand.... during the day Meg can sleep anywhere and does (she is not a busy, busy collie - she is a lazy, lazy collie), but a night she is in the crate for 8 hours +....

Is it different at night?

To the OP - slightly different problem in that Meg was toiletting everywhere at night, but getting the crate solved that problem, and generally given her better bladder control over all.... it's been wonderful!

c X

G

·
just out of interest... you saying crating a dog for more than a few hours is not right ... but what about at night, that's 8 hours + (depending on if I have a lie in).... I know she's asleep but I don't understand.... during the day Meg can sleep anywhere and does (she is not a busy, busy collie - she is a lazy, lazy collie), but a night she is in the crate for 8 hours +....

Is it different at night?

To the OP - slightly different problem in that Meg was toiletting everywhere at night, but getting the crate solved that problem, and generally given her better bladder control over all.... it's been wonderful!

c X
course its different at night time the dog will be sleeping aswell, to confine a dog to a crate for many hours during the day is imo nothing short of cruelty, just put youself in the dogs position.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
What about using a big pen rather than a crate? :)

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
I cant see anything wrong with metal cages, a plastic travelling cage is purely for travelling. At home the dog needs to see out. I totally disagree with you there Terry, as I would imagine do most others as I think everyone has metal cages.

I do agree that a dog shouldnt be in a cage all day but if the dog is being that destructive and it settles in a cage rather than just being contained then I dont see the problem. It has to work though, and someone would have to come home and let it out frequently. It would need a lot of assessing to make sure the desire to wreck the house has gone and that the dog is settled and not going beserk but just unable to do damage. Most dogs seem to sleep 90percent of the time when their owners are out so I am sure it will work with the right dog. If it looks like doing the trick how about investing in a pen as well though and penning off an area of the kitchen with the cage in it.

G

·
it sounds to me as though the dog is suffering separation anxiety crating a dog like this for long periods will only add to his stress and frustration, but then i dont know if this is what the owner intends to do, im hoping the op is meaning just for a short period :)

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I agree that leaving him in a crate is not the best solution but last week he managed to access and chew some live cables and could have electrocuted himself or burnt the house down. Also he has raided the locked pantry by chewing through the door and chewed a bottle of antifreeze which could have killed him so I think crating is the safest option.

I have 10 clear days off work to crate train him and slowly increase the time he is left until he is up to 4 hours, and I won't just go back to work and lock him in the crate if he's not ready for it. The people I rescued him off crated him all day and all night and he was only allowed out for 2 hours a day, so this might be why he has no self control when I go out.

He will eventually be in the crate for 4 hours then let out and taken for a walk for 30 mins and then another 4 hours and then free to roam the house while I am in, including all night when I am asleep because he doesn't chew when I am here. My work are quite flexible and I have been coming home at dinner time to spend time with him and take him out but this seems to make him more destructive in the afternoon when I leave the second time.

My old dog, who I had for 17 years, was like this and then he got to 2 and just stopped. So I am sure it is just a stage Bizkit's going through and he'll grow out of it. Like when little kids draw on the walls :D

Thanks to everyone for their input, the alternative suggestions and advice. It is much appreciated. Unfortunately I am not able to put him outside as I am a tenant will be evicted for noise if my dogs are barking all day, which they do if left alone in the garden. Also I have unpleasant neighbors who throw unsafe objects into the garden so I never let the dogs out without checking and wouldn't feel the dogs were safe if I'm not here. Also my kitchen is so tiny that a pen would be not any bigger than the crate and I'm not willing to let him eat the carpet in the front room.

You are welcome to post in my thread and offer advice, alternative solutions and constructive criticism, and stories of your own experiences. However I'd much rather you didn't come into my thread like an overbearing parent and tell me what I can and can't do.

G

·
You are welcome to post in my thread and offer advice, alternative solutions and constructive criticism, and stories of your own experiences. However I'd much rather you didn't come into my thread like an overbearing parent and tell me what I can and can't do.
is this aimed at me? because if so i did offer advice i suggested a pen as an alternative, i was also answering a question which i believe was also aimed at me, at the end of the day this is an open forum and im allowed to voice my concerns and opinions as long as im not rude to anyone:)

you say your dog chewed a bottle of anti freeze a tiny sip would poison him, did you get the vet to test his blood to ensure he didnt injest any?

i wish you lots of luck with him and hope he settles soon.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is this aimed at me? because if so i did offer advice i suggested a pen as an alternative, i was also answering a question which i believe was also aimed at me, at the end of the day this is an open forum and im allowed to voice my concerns and opinions as long as im not rude to anyone:)

you say your dog chewed a bottle of anti freeze a tiny sip would poison him, did you get the vet to test his blood to ensure he didnt injest any?

i wish you lots of luck with him and hope he settles soon.
No Shamen you were on the thank you list :) it was in reference to the post that bluntly said you can't put your dog in a crate for 8 hours.

Yes we went to vet over the antifreeze incident which was weeks ago.

Thanks for the luck I'm going to need it :)

G

·
No Shamen you were on the thank you list :) it was in reference to the post that bluntly said you can't put your dog in a crate for 8 hours.

Yes we went to vet over the antifreeze incident which was weeks ago.

Thanks for the luck I'm going to need it :)
oh thanks very much then:eek: i know its not easy especially with a dog whos had such a poor start but im sure he'll be well worth the effort:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.