Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cant claim on my payment protection unless

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GillyR, May 18, 2010.

1. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

I go on the dole !!!

I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago. I phoned bank regarding making a claim on my credit card protection cover....just until i get back on my feet....apparently i have to go and sign with the Job centre???

I said to them i dont think i will, i would like to find something before i get to that stage....they said you cant make a claim then.

Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with getting benefits if needed...but at the moment i can manage with getting hand outs, and hope to be in another job asap.

All i want is the cover until i get another job, with a salary !!! not go on the dole !! but i cant have the cover unless i sign on....madness

2. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I havent bothered with payment protection since the ex had it, was signed off work through illness and eventually lost his job over it/sick time

He had/has ME and suffered badly for a while they said his claim wasnt valid as it is an illness that would have shown symptoms before he took out the insurance even though he hadnt been diagnosed.

Since I have been sceptical and held the opinion that they are just thieving b*****s who will find any excuse!

3. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

What !!! that is disgusting !!!

You are right, quick enough to sell the bloody policy arent they....same as insurance companys......

Greedy thieving [email protected]

4. Wyndham

Wyndham PetForums Member

Hey, dont know if this will help , left a bank last year, i worked as a sales advisor selling ppi among other things - i have never heard that you would need to be signed onto the doll - unless the policy document says that specifically and u signed it when you took out the policy they cant inforce it.
    I would advise complaining - 90% of complaints are settled in favour of customer, if they dig there heels in go to the financial ombudsman - this costs the financial institue approx 500quid for you to get them involved and its a free service for you. They will independantly look into the complaint for you and if upheld they will force the bank to pay.

I'd check your policy document carefully and then register a complaint, id regioster one anyway for miss selling of ppi - this is something they take very seriously - if you were not aware of this small print ( signing on) and u think that had u been aware of that you would not have taken out the policy then it has been "mis-sold" by the advisor as you werent aware of all the ins and outs when you signed on the dotted line.

Hope that helps

Not all us (ex) bank workers are [email protected]! lol Glad im out thou!

GillyR likes this.
  5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

This happened to us! Took out the insurance and then when OH was out of work, couldnt claim because we werent on jobseekers benefit. Our policy was with the delightful Commercial Union and no, they didnt make a drama out of a crisis, they didnt bl**dy pay us!!!

I had worked in insurance previously and tried to fight them but they had every loophole covered. Even the company that sold us the goods asked if perhaps we couldnt claim the benefit for a short period just to get the insurance so they were used to complaints. Ended up paying them £500 for nothing. Oh and icing on the cake was that I couldnt get a refund on the premium that I was paying and unable to claim.

My advice would be to fight to the death and dont give in until you really see no other way!!!! Bout time this was put a stop too.
    Sorry, gets down from soap box :lol::thumbup:

6. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

It is awful isnt it.....feel like cancelling everything !!!! the only winners will ever be insurance fat cats....they sell fear, and then do not dish up.

Only pet insurance i shall keep....all the others can go ad get stuffed.

7. rona

rona Guest

I found that too.
    Always the same isn't it, if you try and help yourself and don't claim anything, no government department will help you :(

8. candyshandy

candyshandy PetForums Junior

You should sign on though as they will pay your NI stamp for you and so protecting your entitlements further down the line.

I was made redundant a month ago and really didn't want to sign on but did so just because of the NI implications.

9. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

Yeah i will. Looks like i have too, to stop myself getting further behind with payments.

Is it six weeks after?? what do i do lol.

Although i am ok for money now, i will put it aside.

What happens if i am not entitled to sign on? i.e my husband earns too much?? (he has his own buisness, and we arent well off by a long shot)
    do they still take partners money into account?.

10. candyshandy

GillyR likes this.
  11. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

12. candyshandy

No forms - they ask you tonnes of questions on the phone effectively filling the form in for you;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice