Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cant believe the amount of dogs out today!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 9, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

my house thermometer is sitting at 20 (it only goes in twos :lol:)

today I have seen a massive akita being paraded up and down the street and they didn't even have some water for him :( he was miserable looking and panting like mad. he was bein walked up and down in the sun for at least 2 hours :mad:
    And then I come round the corner to see him shut in the back of the landrover :scared: with the one front window open about 4" and it wasn't even in the shade!!!!!!!
    Well I waited around and seen the owner so I shouted ''is this your jeep?'' he said yeah whats the problem, so I said ''well your dog is about 5 minutes away from collapsing from heat stroke, any longer and he could have died!''
    he didn't look to bothered, I said ''here you are in shorts and a T shirt, how would you feel in a fur coat? what were you thinking, don't you know that the sspca have the power to get the police to break into your vehicle and take him away, and you can be prosecuted? this is animal cruelty''
    him wife jabbed him in the ribs and siad 'I knew we should of left him home!'
    I said take him home and put a damp towel over him and keep him in the shade.

Now of course, I could not tell how long that dog would of lasted but I wanted to scare them into not doing that again! poor boy :(

I also saw a man with a cocker but at least he was in the shade and this dog I know only gets a quick 5 mins round the block at lunch when the man comes home to eat.

There is no breeze here (or there is a little one occasionally), I wouldn't dream of making my dog walk up and down the street in this weather.

My dogs and next doors dogs have a big bone from the butchers, they have all been lying in the garden to eat but even just being in the garden the dogs are quite wark, Dixie has come inside to lie with me in the cool, they will not get walked until after baby goes to bed I imagine.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I do feel sorry for those heavy coated breeds in this weather..:(
    Although I think I could easily walk mine in this kind of temperature, they actually have a way higher tolerance for the heat then me. If anyone would collapse of heatstroke it would be me first!!LOL:eek:

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

How awful and completely irresponsible of them! Maybe they'll think twice about leaving him in a hot car in future. It was brave of you to say something to them :) We've seen a few dogs out looking very uncomfortable walking on the tarmac with no water :(

Just wondering, I've read that if you put a damp towel over a dog if they're overheating it prevents evaporation? Or is that just in certain cases? :confused:

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Im not sure what the wet/damp cloths actually do, but I have read and been told that many times.
    I *think* (and dont quite me! haha) that it helps cool blood vessels etc back down?

What to do if You Suspect Heat Stroke
    If you have even the slightest suspicion that your dog is suffering from heat stoke, you must take immediate action.

First, move your dog out of the heat and away from the sun right away.
    Begin cooling your dog by placing cool, wet rags or washcloths on the body - especially the foot pads and around the head.
    DO NOT use ice or very cold water! Extreme cold can cause the blood vessels to constrict, preventing the body's core from cooling and actually causing the internal temperature to further rise. In addition, over-cooling can cause hypothermia, introducing a host of new problems. When the body temperature reaches 103°, stop cooling.
    Offer your dog cool water, but do not force water into your dog's mouth.
    Call or visit your vet right away - even if your dog seems better. Internal damage might not be obvious to the naked eye, so an exam is necessary (and further testing may be recommended).

5. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Ahhh right, one of the places I've read it was on here: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/48117-dog-heatstroke-survival-guide.html

"5 Don’t cover the dog. One of the keys to successfully cooling your dog is ensuring the water being placed on the dog can evaporate. Never cover an overheated dog with a wet towel or blanket. This inhibits evaporation and creates a sauna effect around your dog’s body. Likewise, don’t wet the dog down and put it into an enclosed area, such as a kennel. Any air flow during the cooling process is helpful in reducing the dog’s body temperature. Sitting with the wet dog in a running car with the air conditioner blowing is an ideal cooling situation."

So much conflicting info! :D I have heard of letting your dog lie on a wet towel though if it's too weak to stand (mentions in that thread too). Anyway, not to detract from your original post :) just something I've wondered about and wasn't sure if it only applied in cases of heatstroke...

#5 shibby, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well, I suppose only way to avoid wondering what to do with that conflicting advice, is to make sure he doesn't get heat stroke in the first place :lol:

Mine get ice blocks when its warm, stays cold much longer than a dish of water and they love it, with biscuits frozen in it hehehe

7. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Took ours out to the stream this morning for a swim and it was hot then.. wouldnt be taking him now.. Be too hot for me hiking about lol

8. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

20? In Scotland? Where?

lol it's 16 here, thats more than hot enough for me...Tummel loves it we've been sitting in the garden most of the afternoon :)

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well it says 19 on the thingy down the road. Or it did anyway.

Dixie loves the sun she is always subathing but even it is too hot for her

10. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Exactly! :D Our youngest guy went for his first little swim this morning, he loved it (new hobby for him) and it cooled him down a treat, although it was cool before midday anyway :)

11. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

well done for scaring the jeep owner!

I took candy out but we were out for 20 minutes its too too hot plus she stood in one of them prickly weed patches and hurt her back foot so i had to remove the thorn and bring her home and i ALWAYS even in the winter carry a bottle of water. it comes in handle for all kinds of things even fighting dogs!

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I daren't take Dave swimming. He bits the water so much he is sick, and then he pees like a blimmin racehorse too! Also if he is off lead he won't come back.

Dixie loves to swim though.

13. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

I get empty coke bottles fill with water and put in the freezer... then I put them under their blankets... but it would have to be really hot and for a long time before they got too bothered.(used to do this for the kids too)..

14. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Hehe, arw :) We tried it because our staffie always dips his toes and doesn't know what to make of it but he was feeling confident and had a few swims today and was made up with himself :D

15. sunshine80

sunshine80 PetForums VIP

I have just had Sonny out for his afternoon walk and it is really warm. That being said the walk I took him was through the wood and down to the river where he was swimming and retrieving his toy and it was shorter then I usually take him although still over an hour (he is a cocker after all). I think with being able to swim he survived the walk better than I did he was clipped about a month ago as well so does not have a really long coat at the moment. I do try and vary the times so he is not out when it is really hot though and I always have a water bottle with me (handy for me as well) although I have now learned not to keep it beside his rubber floating/retreiving toy in my bag or it taste of rubber :D.

I saw a gorgeous Akita out in town this morning when I was in think it was just being walked though. Do not understand why people leave dogs in cars in this heat especially not in the shade.

16. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Went to beach today loads dogs most were in shade tho or in water :) was nice to see little kids enjoing themselves been long winter :)must been westie day out every second dog was westie Bobby had loads fun played with gorgeous great dane for ages :D was about 8 months or so was rescue so wernt sure of its age :)

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice