Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

cant believe im typing this but tinker is pregnant

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by shells, May 1, 2011.


  1. shells

    shells PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,549
    Likes Received:
    10
    tinker is booked in this coming week to be nutered for the 5/6th time as she is a stray it is verry hard to catch and dosent come in. i have had freinds help me try and catch her but she just diapears for days on end then. i have posted about this before looking for advice as i whant to do whats best for her as hard as it is.
    after earliers post i have to admit iv bn a bit weary of telling anyone:(
    but this forum has some fab people on it and some fab advice.
    my problem is as follows- my girl is young and small so i know from other storrys on here how bad it can end up i do not whant this for my girl . i have already spoken to my vet who has said they will still go ahead with spaying/nutering her but there is a higher risk of things going wrong because of her condition:eek:
    so my dilema is do i go ahead and take the risk n get her done or do i leave her have the kittens and risk things going wrong there. i have tried to talk to my husband and it has ended in a row as he said leave her to it or dump her:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: i am livid over this. i did say as much as i dont agree with it i think having the opp is in her best intrest :( however its gonna have to wait untill end of the week as he is now refusing to pay for it so have to wait for my money to go in.
    basicaly i just need to know if im making the right choice and believe me it is a hard choice. (not to mention i still have to catch her in the first place)
    can i please have some genuine advice as this is so hard already. i know she shouldnt be in this position love her but she has always bn scared and run whenever i have tried to catch her. i feel like such a failure to her but genuinly am feeling lost.
     
  2. Get her spayed.
    Because she is a "stray" you run an big risk of not being able to get her to the vet for help if she has problems during birth.

    If your OH's attitude is to "dump her" then you are best getting her spayed, its easier on both her, you and your relationship with your hubby.
     
  3. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    97
    Poor kitty.As you say she is small, and feel yourself she should have the op, I would do that.

    As for the OH not paying, personally I would take her in for her allotted appointment and explain to the vet.

    Leaving it longer will of course increase the risks, so I would not do that, I would say to the vet, 'can you operate today and I will pay on such and such a date.' I doubt they will have a problem

    How old is she can I ask? How are you going to catch her for the operation?
     
  4. Cloudygirl

    Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1,643
    Likes Received:
    53
    personally I'd ring somewhere like cats protection who will be able to help you trap her.

    If your fella is talking about dumping her how will he feel about a litter of kittens.

    Otherwise they might either help with neutering costs as she isn't actually really your cat or have you discussed the possibility of paying slightly later with the vets.

    If you can't afford the cost of a neuter you aren't going to be able to afford the cost if something goes wrong with a pregnancy espec if she is small and might need something like a caesarian. Also if she isn't going to come into the house much and won't have the kittens there you might end up with a little colony of feral kittens.
     
  5. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    97
    CPL usually have £20 vouchers kicking around. I got one of those when they didnt have any advertised offers.
     
  6. shells

    shells PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,549
    Likes Received:
    10
    thank you so much i just needed to see im doing the right thing. she has started to come and sit on me the last few days whitch is new and is also how i noticed the belly so the vet thinks its the pregnancy that is making her come to me so itll be easier to take her in so just keep reashuring her during the week so she is more at ease with being handled.
     
  7. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    97
    Do you really think this is appropriate or neccessary in this thread?

    Kittens should not be having kittens. You are a pretty nasty piece of work.
     
  8. If you explain to your vet that money is a worry and so on he should let you pay it off bit by bit.

    I do feel this is best for your girl, she may become even more anti-social if she has kittens and you may have a real problem getting her or the kittens medical help.

    The op is very simple and vets do it regularly. Your girl will thank you for it.

    If your vet wont let you pay in bits give CP a ring and see if they can help. Explain her being a "stray" and that she is pregnant.
     
  9. Chez87

    Chez87 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    Messages:
    1,793
    Likes Received:
    29
    How far along do you think she is? You are doing the right thing by getting her spayed, the risks of giving birth I would think certainly outweigh the risks of spaying her now.

    I would take her in as soon as possible though.
     
  10. Snippet

    Snippet PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,244
    Likes Received:
    8
    I'd have a word with your vet and see if it would be OK for them to spay her ASAP and you pay later. As others have said, you don't want a half wild cat that's having problems giving birth.
     
    #10 Snippet, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  11. Marley boy

    Marley boy PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    3,753
    Likes Received:
    93
    I would still go ahead and spay her soon as you can. Could you just shut the door behind her when she comes in for food so at least she is contained in the house that will make is easier to catch her.
     
  12. Cloudygirl

    Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    Messages:
    1,643
    Likes Received:
    53
    If you don't manage to get her in so the pregnancy can't be terminated I'd seriously think of passing her over to a rescue. Otherwise you are going to have massive issues with your partner having that attitude and you trying to manage a litter of stray kittens.

    Good luck because I know you have been trying to do what is best by this cat.


    PS ignore the troll.
     
  13. shells

    shells PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,549
    Likes Received:
    10
    i have no issues with paying for her to be done the only reason she hasnt bn done already is not being able to catch her. hubby was paying for her to be done as i paid for our dog and ben the other stray but he is refusing now as its evil to do that whilst being pregnant his words. so is refusing hence y it has to wait untill friday now. she has bn sat on my lap most of today just purring at me and kinda nibbling my hands??? i just whant wats best for her. a freind of mine agreed that getting her done is best n that hopefully she will be more settled due to the aftercare and realising how much we truly care , i pray she is wright. as for her age i believe she is 1 as said her and her parents are strays they started living in my shed mom has gone but tinker the cat in question n dad ben are still there
     
  14. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    97
    You say shes booked in for the 5/6 and I think Friday is the 6th so she should be able to keep her appointment.

    If she carries on with her pregnancy she is likely to have the kittens out of doors which could be disastrous if she gets into difficulty.
     
  15. Not to mention that fact once the kittens grow up they will be in breeding. Unless catching all of them and spaying/neutering. Its much easier to nip it in the bud as they say.

    I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated!
     
  16. GreyHare

    GreyHare Guest

    Sound like you are doing the right thing and going with your head, she is a lucky little cat having you looking out for her.
     
  17. shells

    shells PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,549
    Likes Received:
    10
    sorry didnt put that clearly meant its the 5th or 6th time i have booked her in as each time she has done a disapearing act 3days prior and turned up a week latter. she is booked in for the 5th thursday i believe so ill be putting it of for a day . for some reason i thoughed the 5th was earlier in the week
     
  18. gloworm*mushroom

    gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Messages:
    3,445
    Likes Received:
    97
    Id take her in Thursday, you may not be able to book her in for Friday.

    Just be like 'woops i mixed my days up ill pop back in to pay tomorrow!' They seriously will have no problem I am sure!
     
  19. shells

    shells PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1,549
    Likes Received:
    10
    thank you all so much for your advice i really do apreciate it i know this is a hard topic but sometimes you just need to here/see you are doing the right thing and of course i will be on here when she is in being done as ill be a bag of nerves . in the mean time i think ill be having some strong words with the hubby
     
  20. jenny armour

    jenny armour PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2010
    Messages:
    4,809
    Likes Received:
    376
    just to let you know if you are on benefit of any kind, then you may be able to get a neutering voucher from the cats protection, you will have to show proof though. females is £10 and males is £5 towards the spaying/neutering.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice