Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canon 500D anyone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ArabiCoffee, Apr 22, 2011.

1. ArabiCoffee

ArabiCoffee PetForums Member

I went new-camera-hunting last night, as I kind of ruined the battery of my current camera in my last canyoning trip (not a waterproof camera, yes I know, very smart of me indeed :eek:).. anyway, instead of changing the battery, I found that as an excuse to get a new one :D... I went out last night and checked some nice canon cameras, one of which I liked a lot...

Canon 500D. Has anyone used it before? any reviews on it?
    I am also asking around about the possibility of getting a waterproof case for my canyoning trips (I love canyoning and find it as a great chance to take nice photos), yet I've never used such a case before, has anyone used one b4? does it affect the quality of the photos? or shall I just go on and look for a water proof camera?:confused:

ummm,, too many questions, I'm sorry, but this one costs a lot relatively, and I want to be sure that it is "The One"...
    so camera pros here; help plz?

2. skyblue

skyblue PetForums VIP

the 500 is one of the upgrades to my 400.....you might find you'll be pleased if you get it

3. Erro:D
    Try Aureila - she's quiet up on cameras! you can always pm her! shes a very helpful lady:D

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I have the 450D and I bloody love it. Its my pride and joy

5. ArabiCoffee

I am all so excited now.. I think I'll go treat myself with a canon 500d :D

Thanks guys :)

6. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

The 500D/T1i is one of the best in Canon's XXXD/Rebel T line. It has recently been complemented with the 550D/T2i and the 600D/T3i which is pretty much the same as the 550D except for the addition of an articulating 3" LCD display.

Obviously these entry-level models aren't weather-sealed nor waterproof (only the 1D series is 100% sealed from water) so they won't react too well to a quick swim in a river. You can purchase waterproof housings however this may be slightly overkill and be prepared to fork out a considerable amount for one of these. The next thing down is Camera Armour which offers basic shock-protection and some resistance to the elements.

You can spend a lot on a camera body, but it will be useless without good-quality glass to use it with. Lenses often cost more money than the camera itself, especially so if you purchase from Canon's L-series line of lenses which are reputed to be Canon's finest in build quality, AF speed and optical performance.

Use reviews for basic explanations of ergonomics, sample images and little else. It's important to take reviews with a pinch of salt since they directly reflect the view of the person holding the camera. Magazines are known for implementing certain levels of bias if the magazine in question is aimed towards a particular manufacturer or receives equipment for promotional and competition purposes. Everyone will have a different opinion on a certain camera; give the camera to one person for a day and they will tell you something, but give it to someone else there is a high chance they will give you a completely different view. Try the camera out for yourself, take a few snapshots and then decide.

7. ArabiCoffee

Yes actually I have been checking out lenses prices and they do cost a fortune :eek: but with the reviews I am getting I am thinking it might be worth it...

not sure though with the money I will be spending on this if I will be taking it on any canyoning trips anymore :D (its not like I'll be throwing it into the water, but with everything I did to keep the last one bagged up, me holding it while soaking wet did the job of destroying the batteries just fine :rolleyes: )I haven't seen the water proof case or know wt it costs, but the guy at the shop told me he could get me one at an acceptable price (we'll see what an acceptable price here means)...

thx for the info . very useful indeed :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice