Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canny Collar

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Wild With Roxi, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Hiya everyone.
    Yesterday my friend gave me a canny collar for Jess.
    I want her to be comfortable and happy wearing it, which won't be all the time, as she's doing good with her loose lead training, I'll only be using it if we're in a public place with lot's of people and need to have her settled and by my side. I know that these can be used the wrong way, and I definitely won't be doing that. So if you have any advice for using them properly that would be great. Do you have any tips for slowly training her to walk on one happily?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The thing I think is poorly designed about the canny collar is that, if it's not going to be loose enough to slip off the nose, or the dog able to rub it down off the nose, the lead has to be quite tight. Seems to me that a tight lead is the opposite of what we want to achieve in training a dog to walk on a loose lead. Other head collars such as the Kumfi or Gentle Leader stay in place when the lead is loose.
    I'd get one of those instead, and donate the Canny to a local rescue. That's what I did with the one I got.

3. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Dislike the canny with a passion, for all the reasons said above. The 'correct' position of it means, to me, the dog is on permanent alert all the time, no relaxing
    I love the dogmatic however, and use one with all my big fosters, even the most powerful pullers are easy to control
    May i ask, if Jess is doing well with her loose lead training, why do you want to introduce a head collar? It may confuse her and set her back

4. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

Thanks guys! I didn't know that, I won't go ahead with using it now. My friend got it for me, I wasn't planning on getting one but I thought I'd use it since she bought it. I'll look into those other brands, but for now - I'll continue with her loose lead training :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice