Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canny Collar

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Has anyone tried one??

Dillon pulls very hard when I take him for a walk, today at training a trainer asked if we had tried a "Canny Collar" on him, not to use a Halti as he is still very young and it could damage his neck. So I'm thinking of getting one.

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Got one, love it!

As your trainer said, the Canny collar wont cause neck damage as some headcollars will because the lead connect behind the head, not under the chin so the head doesn't get pulled to one side.

It is also much more "escape proof" than others because it encompasses a buckle collar so even if the dog gets the nose loop off it's still connected to the lead by the collar.

I use it on Otto and he very rarely pulls in it anymore, is much calmer when wearing it and chooses to walk to heel a lot more.

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Love it My steam train sorry dog walks lovely with one, much better then a halti imo

4. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

We use one for our springer best thing we have found so far to stop pulling its not 100% non pulling but does make walking more enjoyable:thumbup:

5. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Just as a bit of balance I found the Canny useless. My Ridgeback found some way to sort of push into it and get leverage, he actually pulled me over wearing it once :eek:

I use the Gencon which I've found excellent.

I do like the way the Canny has a proper collar but on the other hand I found it fiddley when he went off lead. I either had to take the whole thing off, try to clip the noseband out of the way while he was wriggling, or let it hang down.

I think headcollars are very personal and what works for one won't for another.

6. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

my dad uses one on his dog and its fantastic. billy gets so excited when he is having it put on :) when he was using a gentil leader billy would run off anfd hide and spent the whole time walking on it with his head and tail down.

i tried it on my dobermann and thought it was good too, the other advantage is it can be used as a normal collar and left on them when they are off lead and playing :thumbup:

7. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

We use one on our golden retriever. Great! We tried the halti but she kept trying to get oi off and her paw would get caught. Had none of these troubles with the "canny". First one we got was slightly to big but one we have now is a much better fit and really makes walks more enjoyable.

8. dogcrazy

dogcrazy Guest

I tried most head collars but opted for the Dogmatic.

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone.

We went and brought one for Dillon this morning, so far brilliant. The man at the pet shop was really helpful, he made sure we had the right size, let us take Dillon out for a walk to see how he got on. So with a Canny Collar, new lead and a toy:rolleyes: we came home. I've just come home from taking Dillon a walk, it's the first time I've got home without my hands and arms aching, he walked so well it was like taking a different dog for a walk.

cbcdesign likes this.
  10. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

I found the carabiners a bit fiddley, esp in winter when I wear gloves. Molly hated it, but then again she hated the gentle leader. I tried tempting her with treats etc nah, she just stayed still.

I am not sure if it was a bit too big for her (the measurements were borderline) but when we finally got her moving, the noseband fell off when she wasn't pulling.

The online shop I bought it from offers 30 day money back guarantee so I returned it but apparently it went missing so I can't get my money back :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice