Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canister filter tubes

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

hi all ,

Just a quick question about canister filter tubes, I have had mine set up for 3 and a bit weeks and The tubes look really dirty... is this normal? Do I need to clean them? Just worried it means the water will be bad quality when circulating .... please see pictures attached :) thanks!

Attached Files:

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

They do get a bit gunky, perfectly normal. When you turn the filter off for a clean (only needed once a month or even less, when the flow rate starts to noticeably reduce), the process of priming it and starting it up again after a clean will force water through the tubes at pressure, which will clean the gunk out. Some people recommend putting a tights leg over the filter output to catch the gunk when doing this. I just give the tank a good clean with a gravel vac once all the gunk has come out :)

Picklelily and Fishnewbie like this.
  3. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Ok that’s excellent, at least I know I don’t need to worry now! Many thanks as per usual!

Picklelily likes this.
  4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Also filter bacteria will happily live in the gunk. I only clean mine out if they get blocked which has happened once in 16 years. I agree with Naomi's advice.

NaomiM, Picklelily and Fishnewbie like this.
  5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I too completely agree with Naomi M her advice is spot on.
    My fish seem to enjoy eating the gunk that comes out of the tubes when I restart the cannister, fish are disgusting

kittih, NaomiM and Fishnewbie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice