Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canine nutrition

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by luvmydogs, May 8, 2011.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I have been asked to try and find any UK links to good canine nutrition by someone who is doing some research. Any pointers on the nutritional requirements of dogs anyone?

#1 luvmydogs, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  2. Dagmar Scherer

Dagmar Scherer PetForums Newbie

Not sure, if you are looking for dog foods or information about nutrition - has it to be a UK website?

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

4. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

Someone posted a link a week or so ago about canines digestive tracts etc but I can't remember who :s

I did loads of research when I got my first dog as she had problems with commercial foods!

I would suggest googling canine digestive tracts and going from there as it explains how they have short digestive tracts so process raw meat/bones/ organs easier without putting a strain on the system

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Nutrition. Well I think she has a lot of info from USA - so as long as its not American I guess she'll be grateful for it. :)
    yeah found that earlier, thanks. :)

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

A lot of the information re nutritional requirements comes from the US. Doesn't mean that it is necessarily just US research but that it has been pulled together for organisations such as AAFCO, who put out guidelines re canine and feline nutrition and who need to have the evidence base.

Even the European equivalent - the FEDIAF - uses those reports for their guidelines.

Personally, since nutritional guidelines apply to dogs/cats regardless of the country in which they live, I don't mind whether the source of information comes from the US.

7. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I suppose she doesn't mind where it comes from but has already researched in the U.S. :)

8. Dagmar Scherer

I believe it is important to know that the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) is not a government body, but a volunteer organisation. The AAFCO establishes standard definitions for ingredients and nutritional requirements. Bear in mind that members of the AAFCO are also business insider and not objective scientists, so they will have an interest in the profitability of certain products.

I am an Animal Therapist and did LOTS of research to dog nutrition and if she does not mind that it is an Australian website, here is a lot of knowledge to gain and it is all for free: Free Home Made Dog Food Recipes
    I put it all into Newsletters.

Dagmar

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well, the same is true for the European equivalent - the Fediaf, which is a federation that promotes guidelines but has no regulatory power as such. Or, indeed, for the UK PFMA - Pet Food Manufacturer Association.

However, they are not pushing products as such. I think that statement is a tad misleading. And the members of either organisation (US or Europe) may be business leaders, but imo that doesn't mean that the research on which the nutritional guidelines (which I have said before is laid out rather nicely and thoroughly in the NRC book) are based are invalidated by their membership.

10. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

spam :rolleyes:

Interesting reading these links apart form the one trying to get you to buy an ebook :)

11. Dagmar Scherer

Well, there you got me wrong - that ebook is for free! I am not selling anything! That is exactly what I hate when I try to gather information, everybody tries to sell you something.

The way I share my knowledge is via free (no charge!) newsletters and as a thank you for signing up to my newsletters I give away a free ebook.

My mission is to share my knowledge and help people learn as much as they can about healthy dog nutrition and in the long run I hopefully will see more healthy dogs around.

Dagmar

12. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Please put material on web site then, saves managing email lists.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice