Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canine Distemper

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Ferrety, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Ferrety

Ferrety PetForums Newbie

I was just wondering why here in United Kingdom don't we have a licensed CD vaccination for ferrets?

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

no they usually give the same as a dog would get just a smaller dose I think.

3. Ferrety

Ferrety PetForums Newbie

Yeah i know that but they have a CD vaccine licensed for just ferrets over the USA but not here because over here there is not actually licensed vaccine for ferrets the dog one they give doesn't give you the 100% that it will actually work.

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i think its because in the USA the ferret is very popular almost like dogs and cats

5. Ferrety

Ferrety PetForums Newbie

Ah thanks its always puzzled me, well i think that's stupid our ferrets need 100% protection from such a horrible thing too :/

6. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I so agree, especially with the recent out breaks.

7. Tomskrat

Tomskrat PetForums Member

There was a petition for it a while ago (On ferret forums) for a vaccine specific for ferrets. It is a shame that not all vets are knowledgeable about cdv in ferrets :( some offer the dog ones but too many still insist its unnecessary or don't have a clue at all. After the outbreaks last year i got my two done but had to drive a while to find a vet that would :(.

8. oscar1658

oscar1658 PetForums Member

I'm on another ferret forum and have been on that one for a few years now and a lot are from australia and america but many have said there they have had the dog vaccination for theirs as its only one available so it might not really be pushed there properly, its so silly though it is lives at risk..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice