Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canine cognitive dysfunction meds

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Larisa, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Larisa

Larisa PetForums Newbie

Hi all. I posted early last year about my ageing dog and her behavioural changes, and several of you suggested she might have canine cognitive dysfunction. After more worrying behavioural changes - including running off from the dog walker and into traffic! - and me not feeling my vet was sufficiently invested in looking for answers, I switched vets last April, and the new vet quickly made an assumed diagnosis of canine cognitive dysfunction. Laika's been receiving treatment and regular blood work from a wonderfully conscientious vet ever since, for her CCD as well as for chronic pancreatitis and liver disease.

For the CCD the vet put Laika on Vivitonin, and we've had her on that for several months now, without noticeable improvement but also without significant degrading of her condition. However, she's been reluctant to eat her meals lately (off and on since Christmas in fact) - this is super-weird for a dog who until the last year and a bit was always incredibly food-driven. We've tried all different sorts of foods and food combinations, within the realm of what she is allowed to eat given her other conditions, but this seems to be a simple reluctance to eat her meals - although she's still very keen on treats. So from today we're taking her off the Vivitonin and trying her on Eldepryl (aka selegiline) - which increases production of dopamine and is used in humans to treat Parkinson's.

Just wondering if any of you have had experience with Eldepryl / selegiline?

Thanks in advance.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I'll be interested in the replies to this as my own old dog used to be on Vititonin for CCD but also for slight breathing issues. It seemed to help with the breathing but not the CCD

He's past away now but I walk several elderly dogs, one of which is starting to show clear signs of CCD

I hope it helps your dog

3. Larisa

Larisa PetForums Newbie

Thank you, Rona. I'm sorry for the loss of your old dog. I hope the elderly dogs you walk are doing okay.

I've just started the Eldepryl tonight and I expect it will take a while to see results, but I'll let you know how we get on.

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice