Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canine bladder cancer

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Carly Davies, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Carly Davies

Carly Davies PetForums Newbie

Morning all,

I'm new to posting here, came across this forum site whilst googling about canine cancer.

Yesterday we had the dreadful news that my beloved 10 year old cocker had multiple tumors not only in her bladder, but in her spleen, liver and kidneys. She can't be operated on for the bladder as there are so many tumors she wouldn't have a bladder left!

We are devastated, my poor pup is showing no signs of being ill, and we only noticed something was wrong because of blood in her urine.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? She has metacam, from your experience does that help the quality of life?

Thank you xx

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Sorry that you are going through this. Metacam does help a little as pain relief but you know that once the pain is obvious, it can only get worse?

I had a dog with Cancer,not the same cancer, but when she started to show discomfort I knew it was time because there was no cure and no treatment.

Be brave for your little girl and spoil her rotten for as long as you have together

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I had a Persian cat who had bladder cancer many years ago, and I first took him to the vet because of passing blood in his urine. I remember him getting several Urinary tract infections and him being given antibiotics a few times during the time he had it, but cant remember him being given anything else although so many years ago now I could be wrong and I don't think Metacam was probably around then.

I know they give metacam often for UTIs in dogs and especially if they have cystitis with it which is caused by inflammation because my dog has had urinary tract infections and cystitis and the vet said its found to help with the inflammation that goes along with the conditions, so she has been given metacam along with Antibiotics every time, so it may have been given to you for that reason as it is a Non steroidal anti inflammatory and she has bladder cancer.

I hadn't heard of it being used in bladder cancer in dogs though, so did some checking for you, you may not have seen the info below.
    Its about Canine Bladder cancer by Purdue veterinary university in the states. On checking treatments under medical treatment options with drugs the first drug mentioned is using Piroxicam which is a non steroidal anti inflammatory alone. Metacam is a brand name for something called Meloxicam which is also a non steroidal anti inflammatory. The most common type of bladder canine cancer is apparently something called Invasive Transitional cell Carcinoma TCC for short and as mentioned under treatment with drugs where surgery isn't an option the first protocol mentioned is Piroxicam for this most common type of bladder cancer it says.

The vast majority of dogs with TCC are treated with medical therapy, i.e. with drugs. Three different drug protocols are used most often in the standard care for dogs with TCC. The first treatment protocol is to give a drug called piroxicam, or a piroxicam- like drug by itself. Piroxicam is a type of drug called a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug or "NSAID". NSAIDs block the cyclooxygenase (cox) enzyme, and are also referred to as "cox inhibitors". Cox inhibitors include piroxicam, aspirin, ibuprofen, Previcox, Deramaxx, Rimadyl, and others. There is an interesting history behind the use of cox inhibitors for the treatment of TCC in dogs. Veterinarians in the Purdue Comparative Oncology Program and a veterinarian colleague (Dr. T Needham, Wilmington N.C.) became interested in piroxicam several years ago when it was being used for pain relief in dogs with cancer, and unexpected remissions were noted. Two of the first dogs treated (one with metastatic carcinoma, one with undifferentiated sarcoma) had advanced cancer, and these dogs had remission of their cancer when receiving piroxicam, but no other treatment. This has led to numerous studies of piroxicam in animals with cancer at Purdue. In 62 dogs with TCC treated with piroxicam, the tumor went into complete remission in 2 dogs, decreased in size by > 50% in 9 dogs, remained "stable" in size (<50% change) in 35 dogs, and increased in size by > 50% in 16 dogs. Although remission is certainly the preferred treatment outcome, "stable disease" is also considered a beneficial response when the dog is feeling well and enjoying life. In that scenario, the cancer is "managed" as a chronic disease, and the dog lives with it. The median ("average") survival of the dogs Piroxicam is 195 days.

It does say Piroxicam or a Piroxicam like drug by itself, so it looks quite possibly that this is why your vet has likely given you this drug, maybe not only because its used in bladder conditions like Urinary tract infections and particularly with cystitis to reduce inflammation as I first thought but it seems it can have other beneficial uses in canine bladder cancer or the most common type found TCC.

You will probably find the whole article on Canine bladder cancer and treatments useful in general the full link is below for you to read. At the very least it should give you more understanding on the condition and all the treatment options available, and may help with any questions your not sure about so you can discuss it with your vet.

https://www.vet.purdue.edu/pcop/files/docs/CanineUrinaryBladderCancer.pdf

#3 Sled dog hotel, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice