Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canident vs TartarX

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JoanneF, Mar 4, 2021.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I brush Timber's teeth (admittedly, not daily - maybe 3 times a week) and he sometimes gets a chicken wing. Every night he gets a chew, either a fish skin or braided lamb or ostrich. I've also been using some old Canident - I haven't used it for ages but at his last vet exam at the end of December the vet mentioned a little bit of tartar.

So, I plan to keep at it with the three approaches, brushing, chews, and the supplement.

My Canident is almost finished. Our local pet shop stocks TartarX.

Any views / experience on whether either is better?

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

I tried TartarX with mine - didnt make a lick of difference with any of them, unfortunately!

Best thing I've found useful with my lot is Arm & Hammer dental spray, though it's not a dinner supplement :)

I did use CSJ seaweed and parsley with them when they were younger too, might be worth a look

Attached Files:

JoanneF likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

@BlueJay did you try both Canident and TartarX?

As a side note, I like the ”feel” of the Dorwest toothpaste. It feels slightly gritty, more like human toothpaste.

#3 JoanneF, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Last year our vet said he thought Gwylim needed a scale and polish which never got done for obvious reasons. Since then due to the difficulty of getting out to buy fresh meat for them. he's been fed on kibble with a small portion of wet food. The difference in his teeth has been amazing, No tartar of staining whatsoever.

5. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

No Canident here, only the TartarX (and various other toothpastes and whatnot), sorry :(

JoanneF likes this.
  6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'm envious - I've always tried to keep on top of dental hygiene so I was a wee bit disappointed at the vet's findings.

7. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Strangely enough when I asked my vet about the best way to keep the dogs teeth clean he said to give them dry kibble. At the time I'd no idea or intention of altering their diet.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice