Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canicross harness

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rockdot, Mar 18, 2017.

1. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

I'm looking to get Bob and Trevor some proper canicross harnesses as were getting into the swing of it now and they both seem to really enjoy it.
    It may sound silly but i'd like to get them the same type if I can and that is proving tricky. I'm probably not looking in the right places though.
    So I'm shopping for a large terrier and a small collie type, as they are crosses they are not typical breed shapes.
    I've found the zero dc short which looks nice, does anyone here have experience of using one?
    http://www.k9trailtime.com/shop/euro-short-zero-dc-sports-harness.html

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I can't advise i've yet to invest in specific canicross harnesses.
    But if you contact K9 trail time they are amazing and give advice specific to your dogs.
    There are a couple of events going on this weekend so they may be a little busy today.

rockdot likes this.
  3. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

You should be looking for harnesses that would suit your dog's best individually. Depending on their size and the way they run with you. The difference between the height of attachment point for a collie and a terrier could be significant. I can't imagine a terrier running in an x back harness but many collies could be fine with a simple short harness. But then, even if you buy the same short harness for both dogs, one might find it uncomfortable or it might rub them somewhere. Function and comfort should be prioritised over finding matching items.
    https://www.k9trailtime.com/information/team-thomas-harnesses
    If you contact your local canicross club they may have some harnesses to try on your dogs?

4. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

I can't find an x back that would fit either of them so I've ruled them out and after measuring the dogs the zero dc seems to do a size for each of them.
    I don't mean they need to match exactly but if one had a x back and the other had a short type it would mean one dog would always be in front, I think. I want them to be together as some paths are narrow (i'm often running them in woodland) and I use a neck line for some tracks, hope that makes sense.

#4 rockdot, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. Tacey

Tacey PetForums Senior

My two have zero DC harnesses and i love them. I use them for everyday use as well as canicross. :) IMG_20170314_113749931.jpg IMG_20170314_103221211.jpg

6. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

Brilliant pics, thank you @Tacey. They look more padded and comfy than they do in the stock photos, smart too. You may well have just help me spend some £s. :D

Tacey likes this.
  7. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

8. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

Oh wow, great pic! I'm going to throw caution to the wind and guess that you like the zero dc short harnesses @BlueJay. :)

BlueJay likes this.
  9. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

Skip had a Zero DC Short but it choked him when he was running and pulling in to the line.
    Now he runs in a ManMat Universal harness and it's loads better for him.
    [​IMG]

10. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

Lauren5159 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice