Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Candis losing her marbles

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kodakkuki, Aug 31, 2013.

1. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

not right now, but probably before the end of the year. she's never been technically mine, but she's my first dog, and we (granny) have had her since i was 10! but she's over 12 now, and although she still acts like a puppy 90% of the time, there are times that she will stand and bark for 10 mins solid for No reason- to the point where i don't even think She knows why she is barking. it's just so upsetting because i feel she's trying to tell me something, then a few minutes later she has a ball or rope in her mouth asking for someone to play, or she'll be lying on her bed with a chew- just like nothing happened.
    it's been happening a lot recently apparently, but got much worse over the past few weeks... does it sound like she may have dementia? because i can't think of any other reason!

on top of that i think she is going to end up getting part of her tail amputated... she has been banging it off things without noticing recently and it looks pretty bad at the end- like a bad case of 'happy-tail'. so that's going to be one terrifying anesthetic.
    on the other hand....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she spends most of her time loving life!!!

#1 kodakkuki, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

It sounds like she may have the beginnings of cognitive dysfunction syndrome
    aka doggie dementia.

Classic signs are usually, barking at seemingly nothing, other most common signs that you see or eventually begin to see are, sleeping sounder and longer in the day, and they start to become agitated or more active and pacing in the night instead. Not being so responsive to their owners and commands, Some become more distant others will become clingy and get stressed when left. Other signs are often wanting to go out in the garden and then standing there looking confused and not sure how or what they are doing out there. Star gazing or looking confuse in general, some will have loss of toileting or control, and they even sometimes walk into corners and cant figure out how to get out again. That's the bad news.

There is some good though there are medications that can help. Worth trying first is Aktivait its a neutracuetical to improve optimum brain function in older dogs, several members have had great successes with it, Lulus mum if I remember correctly used it and it stopped symptoms. If you want to read more on it
    http://www.vetplus.co.uk/PDF/LEAF/aktivait_leaflet.pdf

You can buy it in vets but as its only a neutracuetical you can get it on line vet pharmacies without a script and probably cheaper.

Ive seen Senilife mentioned recently too, which is another more natural solution to help.

Senilife / Products list / Products / Ceva United Kingdom - CEVA United Kingdom

There is also other veterinary only ones, like vivitonin that works differently by increasing the blood supply to the brain, its an older medication and still available and I believe there is other veterinary only ones now too, but these you would have to discuss and get from the vet, or at least a prescription so that you can purchase them at on line vet pharmacies.

If I remember rightly Lulus mum may have tried the vivitonin first and it didn't apparently work as well as the Aktivait.

There are a few things available though and certainly worth a try that should help.

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Bless her :(

don't really know what to say but didn't want to read and run. It's not nice when they get old is it :(

4. Sled dog hotel

Just had another thought, My last three once in double figures have all ended up hypothyroid, not producing adequate thyroid hormones, It can manifest in different ways, from various types of physical symptoms to behavioural, many of which can be like CDS.

Behavioral Problems
    aggression / fearful / shyness / hyperactivity / lack of concentration / fly catching (biting at imaginary flies) / star gazing (staring in space) / inappropriate elimination (urine, feces)

Neuromuscular Problems
    seizures / mental dullness / exercise intolerance / neurologic signs polyneuropathy / lethargy / weight gain / cold intolerance / mood swings hyperexcitability / stunted growth / chronic infections

So you can see there is a similarity although it could be just the start of CDS.

Full other symptoms are on the link below.

Clinical Signs of Canine Hypothyroidism

Especially if she is showing more of the physical symptoms too a lot of which could also be written off as just age related in may cases, it may or may not be worth checking that out even with a thyroid profile blood test. Especially as that pretty cheap to treat with daily thyroid hormone replacement.

5. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

all of the bolded bit... thats her :( every bit of it to some degree. a few months ago she moved from my grans house to my mums, and i don't see her as much as i used to, but my parent s had told me at different tines shes been doing odd things... though in the fortnight i was minding her she did every one of those. if only i could stop the barking i could bring her to live with me- i seem to n=be her comfort person- she was my best friend when i was a kid- and still pretty much is; that poor girl has been my journal since i was 10!
    i'm bringing up the Aktivait tomorrow to the family to see if they'll let me try her on it- though tbh they normally follow my lead on meds etc... i just need my baby to be happier All the time again!

6. Sled dog hotel

Its certainly worth trying the Aktivait and there are other things too some of which Ive also mentioned. Like everything else somethings will work better on one dog and maybe not so well on another, but as there are several things including the veterinary ones, you have plenty of options to try.

Hope you can get something to help her, especially in all otherways apart from these symptoms starting she is still in generally good health. Im going to link this thread on a message to lulus mum and she will hopefully see it and give you her experiences and the use of aktivait. I have had a dog with it too my little Bella had CDS many years ago before aktivait and senilife, I had her on vivitonin which did help, but often its best if you can to leave the heavier stuff until you may have too. I think if they have certain conditions you have to be careful or maybe with some you cant use it at all, I think, kidney and if they have got heart problems and are on meds for that you have to be careful. As said though Vivitonins been going for a long time and there is I pretty sure newer veterinary meds now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice