Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cancer in Goldens makes mainstream-media

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by leashedForLife, May 7, 2010.

1. leashedForLife

2. rona

rona Guest

Anyone who has kept a number of Goldies knows that there are different pigments of the skin. This does not reflect in the colour of the coat.
    You can just as easily have one with a dark coat and pale skin pigment and white coat with dark pigment.
    I think this may be more of an indication of risk than coat colour
    I may be wrong, but I have always surmised that this may be the case

3. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Although not my breed, I do know quite a few Golden people and didn't realise it was a problem in Goldens. I wonder if it is a regional difference and something in the US. Here we do have a problem with cancer in Flatcoats though.

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

To be honest, I know just as many labs who have had cancer as I do goldens. Not sure why. My godmum has had three pure labradors in the last 7 years (she rescues them) and two died of cancer, one aged 5 and one aged 10. Both were chocolate, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I can't concentrate long enough to read the article :eek:, didn't see the pigmentation parts when I skimmed, but with Roo for instance, I don't think he is either light or dark in pigment, his nose is lighter but his eye rims have always been black and the outline of his nose etc has always been dark. No idea about a coat colour correlation really, I wonder how UK goldens fair to US ones?

5. leashedForLife

hey, rocco! :--)
    the genetics + stats on incidence indicate its a world-wide breed association.
    Flatcoats are related to Goldens.
    cheers,
    --- terry

6. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I have lost 3 GRs to cancer and they were all quite different in colour and coat.....two thicker coats and one very fine coat....none of them being pale cream or white and all had different types of cancer and all died at very different ages.

7. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

My Ted has skin cancer, two types in fact, he was given 6mths to live if it had spread to his lungs that was appox 5yrs ago, I didnt realise it was so bad in Goldens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice