Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canary with hole in his beak

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by jacqui.kam, Oct 16, 2010.

1. hawksport

hawksport Banned

It might be a good idea to feed some mashed up hard boiled egg, growing feathers takes a lot of protein

2. jacqui.kam

jacqui.kam PetForums Junior

Hi everyone, sorry if this is a repeated message. I am not very good at computers. The good news is I have heard from Paul Dunham, and the canary's tail feathers are growing back rapidly.Also, no more black spots on his beak. Jacqui.

3. jacqui.kam

I am really in a muddle with getting the hang of this forum. Yesterday I wrote that the little canary was better, but this morning I saw he has got two spots by his beak again. I could not find my yesterday's posting. Help, Jacqui

4. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Well it's there above your todays posting....get a picture on here if you can.

5. Paul Dunham

Paul Dunham PetForums Senior

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around. I've just started a new job and I have had very little time on line just lately. It seems Hawksport & Poohdog have been giving you some very good advice. Initially the symtoms appeared very serious. But to be honest it seems that perhaps it's just the result of an irregular moult. Domestic birds often in an artificial environment exhibit abnormal moults from time to time where the causes could be attributed to either breeding, dietary or even environmental conditions. Some caged birds do appear to lose most of their feathers all at once, (especially with extended photo periods) including their entire tail. The holes in the beak is what confuses me. It would have been nice to see a picture. Maybe there was a slight calcium deficiency during the moulting period which you corrected through providing a better diet. However, it sounds like everything is on the mend and they are now recovering. It would be interesting to find out what happens during their next moult.

6. Paul Dunham

Paul Dunham PetForums Senior

This probably won't disapear over night. it will take time. Some birds never get rid of what is probably a genetic problem.

7. jacqui.kam

Dear Paul, thanks for your message. I will try to put the photo, not very clear, on the forum. Otherwise the bird is eating, I've given him some extra protein, hardboiled egg and a few drops of Vitaplume in the water. He is singing today as the sun is out. PS How do I include my photo which I have on my computer? If I go on insert picture,it gives me an http link?Thanks, Jacqui

#27 jacqui.kam, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  8. jacqui.kam

Hi Paul and you other helpful friends. Since I last sent a message, the little canary has recovered.He has grown his tail feathers and what I thought was a hole in his beak must just be some discoloration. I finally managed to get a not very good pic, but didn't know how to get it onto the forum from my computer. Any help on this? Now unfortunately the dominant female is going through a very painful large moult. I'm giving her hardboiled egg and Vitaplume in her water. It is rather a worrying time for an amateur like me. How often, and what time of year can I expect this? Jacqui.

9. hawksport

hawksport Banned

If they were outside they would moult each summer with the increase in daylight hours. If they are inside they will moult slowly throughout the year. Don't worry birds have been moulting for millions of years.

10. jacqui.kam

Hi Hawksport, Thanks for the reassurance. The girl is still looking very moth-eaten and uncomfortable, but is eating well. It is colder here now, about 10C and has been raining a lot. They are outside on the terrace but very sheltered and under cover, with no draughts,and at night I cover them well.
    Will keep you posted. Still no hints as to how to put a photo on the forum?
    While sending you this I have just caught that bloody cat by their cage again. It cannot possibly touch them, the cage is too high, but must frighten them. How can I deter it? Too many cats around here. All the best, Jacqui.

11. hawksport

hawksport Banned

It's the cats that have to be protected from the birds here

12. jacqui.kam

Hi Hawksport, the female is still in a very sorry state with clumps of feathers missing. She is eating and bathing well, but seems to pull the feathers out herself. Is this due to pain? My vet is 30 minutes away and I don't want to put her under more stress than necessary. How long can a moult go on for? She looks so uncomfortable and it is getting colder for a little bird with diminished feathers. Jacqui

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice