Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

canary question

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by rougie, Jun 26, 2009.

1. rougie

rougie PetForums Newbie

hi,im new here i have a new pet canary, he is 8months old, when i got him he had scaly mites on his legs, after treating him with ivemectine it cleared off but left his whole body covered in some yellow skin.where it pealed off,the feathers went whith it too.(legs,under the wings,neck...)
    I've taken him to the vets and she said he was fine but since ive noticed that he is having again yellow skin and it's peeling away, i feel that every time some peels off new reapears!is this normal?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is your vet a bird speicalist?

If not, might be worth trying to find someone who is. I havent a clue myself, havent kept birds for years, and even then i never had any problems. But i do know that most vets dont have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to exotics (anything that isnt a dog or cat).

3. rougie

rougie PetForums Newbie

thanks,
    she said she is also avian vet, but its a general place, MedVet.
    he does seem ok, he's ahppier then bfore and even interacting with my 2 budgies!ill keep an eye on him see it it will clear up.

4. rougie

rougie PetForums Newbie

my canary is not doing so well, his skin keeps on regrowing as hard yellow skinn and then strarts peeling off.he is gone quiet and one of my hen budgies bit his toe so now ive moved him to another room on the windowsill where he has sunny spots as well as shade, with his little bath for refreshing.
    his feathers are not regrowing but then i dont have him more then few weeks.he eats and drinks but no chirping or singing.i'll try to upload some pics maybe someone will be familiar with whatr is happening to my canary...

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice