Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canary no longer suffering :-(

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Phoenix24, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 PetForums Senior

My canary passed away yesterday.

It was very sad because I hadn't had him for more than a few weeks (I hadn't even settled on a name), and he had clearly been very ill for a very long time.

I got him 'free' from a pet store, where he had sat, on his own, in a small, dingy cage, for what seemed like forever. They said he stopped singing after he moulted once: A bad sign.

I took him home and quickly realised he was not in good condition at all. His claws were over grown, and one foot missing a toe. He couldn't perch or fly, and fell over all the time. And despite seeming like he was eating for England, he was very thin, with no muscle. And his vent was dirty, too.

I gave him everything I could to try and get him on his feet. Space, light, food, supplements, treats. After a few days he was more lively, could fly around a little, and get onto the perches (but not stay on them, he slept on the floor).

Then he started getting worse again - he would fall and not be able to get back up. He would struggle around for ages, and even ate whilst lying on his side. After a few days (about a week after I got him home) I took him to the vet, who said there didn't seem to be any obvious infection, his eyes were bright enough, and he was trying to eat. He said I was doing everything I could with the proper feeding (which no doubt canary had been denied in the pet store - I only ever saw him sitting on the seed dish) and whilst he seemed happy I was to wait and see if the supplements helped. The problem was probably neurological, probably long term - though for how long it had been going on I don't know. He didn't look skinny, not until you actually blew back the feathers.

I noticed the falling over was still getting worse (and I was considering having him put to sleep). Yesterday morning he seemed lethargic and was really struggling. I popped him in the food bowl to eat, and gave him some veggies. Later he seemed very sleepy. Then I went out for a while, and came back and he was slipping away.

He died in my hands. He was a skeleton. I'm so upset that the pet store owners didn't even notice he was sick.

I'm going to miss him; he always cheeped when I came in the room, and flew to my hands when I put seed in. He had a funny way of sitting there muttering away whilst pecking my fingers in between eating, probably not sure if he really liked my hands being there but really wanting the food.

At least he isn't suffering any more, but it is so, so sad.

2. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Such a sad post and so sorry for your loss and that he didn't survive. But certainly you made his last days much more bearable and I'm sure he must have been aware of that in his own way.

3. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

The poor little thing - my heart aches for him. At least he had a taste of love and companionship with you. He was probably starved as well as neglected, because the other birds will have beaten him to the seed.

I'm sure that you will miss him, even though you hadn't had him long, because youinvested so much love and time in him. But now he is out of pain, and htere is no suffering or distress for him where he is now. I truly believe that every animal goes to heaven. They are incapable of sin, and are bleoved of God.

You may or may not believe in a Divine Creator, but I do, and I am sure that he is now safe, and loved, and is grateful for all the love you showed him in his brief and painful life. Thank you for what you did for him. Love is never wasted.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and with your little one.

4. dogandbone

dogandbone PetForums Member

I'm sorry for your loss, what a tough little life he had. You did everything you possibly could, but at least his suffering has come to an end.
    I hate to see birds in pet shops because you just know they don't get the right care and attention. Fly free little one xx

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

That's really sad but, thankfully, he had you to care for him at the end. He will always fly with you wherever you go.

6. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Very sorry to hear about your beloved canary.

You did the very best you could, but the odds were against him...

At least he is at peace now and no longer suffering.

You should give him a name...

Canaries in Heaven? Loads of them!

7. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

KofA is right - name him. It will make him more loved and precious. Perhaps you didn't name him because subconsciously you knew you were going to lose him and you were trying to protect yourself emotionally. Name him now - you will feel better.

8. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

When an animal has positive association with a human i.e as a pet if a domesticated animal or through a friendship if a wild animal, where there is love between them, this creates individualisation. And this individualisation is retained after 'death'.
    By naming him you are reinforcing this individualisation, reinforcing his identity.

lostbear likes this.
  9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

This is one of the saddest threads I have read.
    Poor little bird.
    I am sorry but the shop owner shouldn't have all these birds if they cannot look after them properly while they are in their care.

I would name him as you clearly loved and cared for him.
    So nice to know that he did find love and attention.

R.I.P Little Bird and fly freely at Rainbow Bridge xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice