Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canary biting feet

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by SandieV, May 9, 2010.

1. SandieV

SandieV PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have a male canary and all he is doing is constantly biting his own feet, any advice would be brilliant, thanks

2. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Have you checked for mites?

3. SandieV

SandieV PetForums Newbie

His feet seem to look okay, looking all clean and everything, and I don't see anything on the beak. It seems to be his nails that he keeps biting. Am wondering if they are too long, problem is he's a little fast and I'm way to slow to catch him. Am waiting a little bit now to let him settle down, then will try again.

4. Guinevere13

I would check between the toes and the skin near his nails. I think there is a wash you can get from pet shops just in case. I am sure someone who knows more will let you know soon. :)

I know what you mean about catching them though, my finch has a slightly overgrown beak. The vet couldn't catch him and was worried about stressing him too much so it is still overgrown. He can eat ok though so I'm not too worried. When OH bought them for me the lady asked which ones he wanted. He pointed at 2 in the (full) aviary, she went in and gamely tried to catch them. Ten minutes later, covered in bird droppings, she emerged to an amused crowd. OH asked if they were the ones he had picked - If looks could kill he would have dropped there and then! :lol: She did ask!

5. SandieV

SandieV PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply, I still haven't managed to catch him, and know the feeling of getting covered in poop, least I know his bowels are working. I have noticed that his legs seem red, and one of them seems the be half black. Other than that, he still eats well, sings, and mates with his female. But, he doesn't sit like he normally does on the perches, he sits like he has no legs, he's not fluffed up at all.

6. Guinevere13

Found this on another site - might be useful. I can pm web address if needed but type in common diseases in canaries...

I hope all goes well.

Scaly Legs / Swollen Feet - one common cause are Knemidokoptes mites (please refer to the "Scaly Leg / Scaly Face page for information), or scaling can be caused by genetic or nutritional factors. This scaling is also observed in older canaries and is an indication of a build-up of calcium salt between the scales of a canary’s feet and legs. Some younger canaries even can be predisposed to this calcium salt problem. Whatever the cause of the scaling, heavy scaling can result in reduced mobility and increased discomfort.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice