Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Canagan

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Marley&Charlee, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Marley&Charlee

Marley&Charlee PetForums Junior

Hi Stanley has currently gone off his natures menu wet food so we thought we would mix it up and give him a treat with canagan. We have given him 2 meals of his natures menu and 2 meals of his canagan but now he seems to not eat his natures menu which is fine as the canagan seems a lot better but very expensive :Hilarious. Is there a website where I can bulk buy the tins?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The tins of Canagan are very expensive to feed every day. The pouches work out a bit cheaper but are a different recipe to the tins. I don't know of any website where you can bulk buy the Canagan tins. There are similar shredded makes such as Thrive Complete tins but that is also expensive to feed every day.

Quite a few of the shredded chicken makes are not complete foods. Apart from Canagan and Thrive Complete, Sainsbury's is one of the few whose shredded chicken is a complete food. But it is just as expensive as Canagan I'm afraid.

Cats like variety in their diet so it's better to feed a variety of several makes and different flavours (different meats) so as to avoid food boredom and faddiness. Also feeding a variety of makes of food ensures the cat is getting all the nutrients they need.

It would be best to try and get Stanley onto at least 3 different foods, preferably 4 and feed them in rotation.

I would forget the Natures Menu for now. You could always reintroduce it in a few months time if you have a lot of it to use up.

Some easy to digest makes I can suggest he might like:

Animonda Vom Feinsten for neutered cats pure turkey trays (this is not shredded it is a type of pate, generally well liked)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/trays/14008

Little Big Paw Mousse (pots) - from Pets at Home

HiLife Chicken Dinner (pouches) - from Pets at Home

3. Marley&Charlee

Thank you very much for your help it has helped a lot, he’s currently only 6 months so is on kitten food we have just ordered a mixture of the canagan tins as they are for all life stages, and the kitten pouches in canagan also the biscuits just for throughout the day got enough to last the month. But I will definitely try and introduce the ones you have suggested the hi life you have shown looks a good back up.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You are welcome hun ;)

I would keep the dry food to a minimum. Also I wouldn't leave it down all day for him to snack on, as this will spoil his appetite for his wet food and make him faddy. If you give him dry food, measure out a meal sized portion according to the packet instructions and feed it to him on its own as one of his daily meals. Feed him wet food the rest of his meals. Much better for his health.

I hope you can manage to introduce some reasonably priced foods to his diet as feeding a kitten only Canagan is making a bit of a rod for your own back I fear! At his age kittens are usually very willing to try new foods, and they enjoy variety. As they get older they get more set in their ways and less willing to experiment. Any new foods should be introdueced gradually over the course of several days, starting with just a teaspoonful on a separate dish to his tinned Canagan.

TriTri likes this.
  5. Marley&Charlee

Brill thank you so much I will limit the biscuits and put more wet into his food he has it mixed at the minute.
    Defo going to try what you have suggested in food as just ordered a months worth of food and it’s come to over £100 for it :Facepalm. That being said though he has got some lovely flavours to have a go at but is very expensive.
    I will give the ones you have put down a read while I’m still off work:)

6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@Marley&Charlee check out Home Bargains and B&M for HiLife and Little Big Paws. It'll likely be cheaper there than PAH

chillminx likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Marley&Charlee - best not to mix the dry food and the wet food in the same dish if that is what you meant (my apologies if I misunderstood :) ).

Dry food contains bacteria and fungus which remain dormant as long as the food is kept dry, but as soon as it becomes damp or wet, the bacteria and fungus start to multiply. So it is safer to serve the wet and the dry in separate dishes for him. :)

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice