Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can you tell my why you shouldn't over walk a puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Gopher, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

I need to assure my OH that my 4 month old puppy is walking "enough" for his age and size - he's a chihuazu and weighs 2.7kgs, I walked him 10 mins a day when he was 2 months old, 15 mins a day when he got to 3 months old and now he's 4 months he's "built up" to 20/25 mins a day.

We would like to walk him twice a day but I believe it's not a good idea to over walk him while he's still so young but I can't remember why? Is it something to do with their joints?

Thanks for your help ;)

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Yes, too much forced (lead) walking puts too much pressure on soft, growing bones and joints. You can take your puppy out for longer than the 5 mins per month of age as long as you are only doing a small amount of forced walking, and the rest is off lead play, where the pup can run/walk at his own pace and stop as/when needed.

There is nothing to stop you walking your puppy twice a day - just split the time into two shorter walks :)

Although obviously you need to take care with small breeds too, it's not quite as important as it is for larger breeds.

3. rona

rona Guest

^^^
    perfect explanation :)

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Actually, I'll disagree, not quite a perfect explanation but will expand (although not litererally, chuckle).

Ok, for a number of years, we've known with some medium/large breeds, they have exhibited clinical problems with their joints, although we also know that some high scoring dogs from the same breeds exhibit little or no outward sign of any problem. The same hasn't been said of smaller breeds, although now some are starting to be hip scored/elbow graded, we're seeing at least the same, if not a greater problem with some small breeds. I'm taking it your dog is a cross? Were his parents at all hip scored? This may give you an indication, along with his recent history, ie the pedigree of his parents, as to whether there were any problems within their lines. Unfortunately, when it comes to cross breeds, this becomes a little more complex, and difficult to understand. Your dog, if a cross breed, has the propensity to inherit the bad traits from both breeds if both parents carry the propensity to develop any problems, I hope that's making sense?

Back to the exercise limit, the 5 min rule was developed by someone I count as a friend, a really lovely guy. He coined the phrase to try and help people remember the amount of forced or lead exercise recommended for young pups/dogs. It is 5 mins per month of age, and that is per day, but it is for forced, or lead exercise, not for play. Training will wear your dog out much more than walking, so if you feel your pup could do with a bit of mental stimulation, try a bit of clicker training to help tire them out.

5. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

As per Rona!! Their bones need to strengthen- as pups they are only cartilage (soft bone) while they are growing) and they need to set into strong bone but too much weight on their joints and bones can cause them to break or set on the wrong position!

#5 ChatterPuss, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I would say that it is ok to have 2 20 min walks a day on lead forced walking, however I think that if he were off lead in the park playing, I don't see the issue in staying there an hour, providing he has little breaks :)

At 4 months our Holly was having 4 ten minute lead walks which were mainly toilet walks, then about 45 mins off lead walk by the river.

7. NoSpecialFeaturesHere

NoSpecialFeaturesHere PetForums Senior

I keep reading the title of this thread as "Can you tell me why you shouldn't walk over a puppy" and instantly thinking, "Coz you'll hurt it, dumbo!" LMAO, sorry about that. :p

I don't see a problem with walking your four month old pup two or three times a day, just take it easy on him and don't walk too far or for too long. Just like you wouldn't expect a toddler to walk too far without popping them in their buggy for a rest every now and again. :)

SixStar likes this.
  8. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

As far as I understood it was purely to do with their joints and to not damage the cartilage (soft tissue).

OH's parents had a pedigree English Springer and they were told not to walk him too much as a pup if they planned to show him as he would get too long in the leg. Not sure if that's true, this was about 25 years ago now though, times have changed and science has evolved!

9. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

that's great thanks everyone - I've never "forced" Bingo to walk he canters along and has never sat down or refused to walk - yet!! he was walking off lead (we walk through fields near our house) but last week he cantered straight into the main road with me running behind him begging him to come back to just STOP - so no more off lead for a while!!

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I don't think anyone meant forced literally, it is more an unnatural pace for a dog without natural breaks...Kilo would go all day if I walked him on his lead, but when he is offlead I notice all the breaks he takes at his own speed.

Anyhow....I know it goes against the grain, but if Bingo is running towards something dangerous again try not to chase and beg as it turns into a game and he will keep going towards the road. Unfortunately we cannot run as fast as dogs. Try to stop him with one forceful shout; I came across a road - very quiet fortunately with nothing about - unexpectedly in the middle of some woods and bellowed 'wait' as Kilo was running ahead. He stopped in his tracks and he does know wait so I then walked away from him and recalled to put his lead on. If the shout does not work, you can try and break that concentrated run with high pitched noises, looking like a very excited loon so that hopefully you become more interesting than the road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice