Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Can you tell how big your puppy will grow?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gopher, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

By measuring them at a certain age?

Bingo's 16 weeks old now and weighs 2.4kgs (which is whopping considering he was 800g when he arrived!!) is there anyway to multiply this out to work out his expected adult size??

2. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

I have no idea - but yours is gorgeous!

We met our puppies parents and they are a substantial size so guessing Bodie will be the same.....

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I think it's roughly double at 16 weeks - not sure where I heard that from.
    So by that thinking he'll be about 4.8kg = about 10 1/2 lb.
    I may be completely off though :rolleyes:

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I think you can probably find growth charts online - I used a Westie one and she pretty much followed the curve, although always under it. Kenzie was around the same weight at 16 weeks as Bingo, and she's now 5.4kg at nearly 8 months and her growth has slowed right down.

5. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

the problem is that Bingo's Mum was a medium sized Shihtzu but his Dad was a small Chihuahua so I can't follow any particular breed.

I saw a 14 week old Shihtzu the other day and he was twice the size of Bingo who's 2 weeks older, I was quite shocked at how small Bingo is but I suppose with a Chihuahua for a Dad he doesn't have much hope :p

I want to buy him a new bed because he's flopping over the sides of his puppy bed (which was actually a kitten bed!) but I don't want to buy something he'll grow out of in a couple of months........

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My Lilly is a shih tzu X maltese and now way's 4.25kg fully grown.
    Not sure if that helps - he could be as big as his mum, as small as his dad or anywhere inbetween :rolleyes:

7. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

according to this site (using method number 2) Bingo will be under 4kgs when he's fully grown (I don't know what he weighed at 6 weeks but was 800g at 8 weeks!!) - check it out ;)

How big will my Puppy Get?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice