UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hope all are well and pups are on top form :)

My friend adopted a dog a couple of weeks ago, the rescue think he is around 14 months, he's a proper Heinz 57 :D He seems to have some basic training and good manners but my friend wants to teach him some more commands and tricks (lie down, high five, play dead are just some examples she mentioned) I'm afraid I'm no help to her whatsoever so I let her take the couple of books I have, The perfect puppy and How to train a superpup, she brought them back yesterday and said they are only for training puppies so no good for her. I'm just not sure if this is the case, are these books strictly for puppies or can she use the same techniques and methods with her older dog? I don't want her to spend money on books if she doesn't need to so if we can find out if these books are okay that would be great :)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I dont know the answer to this but my guess is YES! And probably using the same techinques that are used to teach a pup but with even more patience!!

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I don't see why things like lie down, play dead, give paw etc would have to be taught any differently depending on the age of the dog :confused: I've never read either of the books you mention but the methods I use with Spencer (18 months) are the same ones I'd use with a young puppy.

If she wants a sort of "how to" training book then Jean Donaldsons Train Your Dog Like a Pro might be worth a look. Step by step guides on teaching sit, down, stay and various other things.

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Yes of course she can train a 14 mth old youngster. He isn't much more than a puppy anyway.

When I did heelwork to music I never started training any of the moves (high five, twist, weave, etc. etc.) until my dogs were at least 18 months old.

There are many, many books and videos on basic training and heelwork to music.

Tell your friend to have a look on 'You Tube'.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see why things like lie down, play dead, give paw etc would have to be taught any differently depending on the age of the dog :confused: I've never read either of the books you mention but the methods I use with Spencer (18 months) are the same ones I'd use with a young puppy.

If she wants a sort of "how to" training book then Jean Donaldsons Train Your Dog Like a Pro might be worth a look. Step by step guides on teaching sit, down, stay and various other things.
Thanks guys :) I just wasn't sure if older dogs needed different methods to puppies, I'll let her know and give her the books back to try :)

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Errr 14 months isn't old. I taught Benjie (then 7) to speak on command. And Sadie (then 8) to Beg.. Louie learnt how to open a door this year and he's 2. Training never stops. :)

Oh and Jack taught himself (at 9) how to escape and destroy a crate in one go!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
14 months is still in sight of puppytown, though viewed from adolescentsville. We got Nibs at 3- completely untrained, not housetrained or anything either and he (though very stubborn) learnt all he needs to quickly enough. Pixie was 2 when we got her, and she has learnt not to chase cats, is learning not to pull, and has learnt lots of tricks :)

This is a brilliant site, I absolutely love it- this woman does professional agility with her retired greyhound pets- most of whom are around 3-4 when adopted. (Most of her posts are about her new grey pup at the mo though!)
NEVER SAY NEVER GREYHOUNDS

One of her agility videos:
120909 Seven QQ7 - YouTube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.