UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
When my mouse had an outbreak of mites the vet said they cant be seen with the naked eye and if you spot anything mite like on your mouse it would probably be lice not mites.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Yes apparently lice are the ones you can see...I know as one of my poorly babies now has them and I could really see them!! If he has a patch...any flakiness and scaliness is a sign of mite...might be worth getting him to vet...or getting hold of "spot on" as I find so far...toucvh wood...does seem to work!

Good luck! xx

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
As said before you definitely won't see mites!! They are too small to see without a microscope. What you would see is the effects of their bites - constant scratching, flaking of the skin, redness of the skin, perhaps some little specks of blood or little scabs depending on how bad it is, even hair loss. If you notice anything like that I would start treating it as soon as you can as it can be really stressful on the mouse and can even lead to them leaving themselves permanently scarred from all their scratching or with an OCD type scratching (they will keep scratching even thought here are no mites.) I'm speaking from experience - one of my mice scratching half an ear off and has a bald spot on the back of his neck because he kept scratching even after the mites were gone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies, i'll take him to the vet but can't till later in the week is there anything i can do in the mean time to help him. Also i have other mice in separate cages, but all in the same room, they all seem fine but are they at risk? just how contagious are these little buggers? Is there any chance that whats bothering him is the wood shavings?, the reason i'm thinking this is recently in mornings i've got up and he's asleep (with his bedding) in his food dish which is off the ground (his tank is clean). None of my other mice have ever done this and he never did before either. Is there another kind of substrate i can use for him, like newspaper laid flat or kitchen towels or something, he uses tissue paper for his bedding. Thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
You can use hay,straw,newspaper, auboise,aspen, cardboard squares, finacard, megazorb all good stuff.

I use the one in bold but i have tried all these anyway and this one is the best for me to use for the rats aswel.

what you can do is get some ant powder ( its about 98p in BNQ ) clean the cage out and sprinkle a bit int he bottom of the cage then add the flooring/bedding mix it up with the ant powder and that should rid of any creep crawlies.

·
Registered
688 Posts
what you can do is get some ant powder ( its about 98p in BNQ ) clean the cage out and sprinkle a bit int he bottom of the cage then add the flooring/bedding mix it up with the ant powder and that should rid of any creep crawlies.
And probably kill said mouse in the process as most ant killers are toxic when ingested, even in small amounts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
And probably kill said mouse in the process as most ant killers are toxic when ingested, even in small amounts.
Benn using it months with no affects, a lot of mouse breeders use it with no effects.

Reseach the ingredents and its pretty much teh same with all mite prevention, its killed insects and can be harmful to aquatic life.

You can even ask TDM, SrhDufe and Niki87 if any of my mice looked ill when they have visited it me or any mice theyve had from me if they were ill, looked half dead......

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Benn using it months with no affects, a lot of mouse breeders use it with no effects.

Reseach the ingredents and its pretty much teh same with all mite prevention, its killed insects and can be harmful to aquatic life.

You can even ask TDM, SrhDufe and Niki87 if any of my mice looked ill when they have visited it me or any mice theyve had from me if they were ill, looked half dead......
I have no idea about the ant powder but your meeces all looked in great condition and Princess Sparkle couldnt be healthier, especially considering shes no spring chicken.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Permethrin, the active ingredient you mention, is rarely used in rodent treatments nowadays, simply as its not as effective as Ivermectin, or Selamectin, with both of those also surpassing Permethrin in terms of safety also.

Products which contain Permethrin legally have to include a warning regarding the rather common frequency of side effects in rats and mice and so on, as below:

Small rodents may demonstrate signs of Central Nervous System disturbance such as ataxia and tremors. If this occurs, veterinary advice should be sought immediately and Diazepam or Pentobaritone Sodium may be administered to control convulsions.
Most anti-parasitic agents have the potential to be lethal when the dose is too large because they work by attacking the parasite's nervous system and this can affect the host animal also. They all need to be used with extreme care, and mathematical workings out should always be double checked as opposed to a `sprinkle` or so on.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
They all look healthy and happy to me :)

I use an insect thing in a spray. Didnt know about the ant powder. Thankies :thumbup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Permethrin, the active ingredient you mention, is rarely used in rodent treatments nowadays, simply as its not as effective as Ivermectin, or Selamectin, with both of those also surpassing Permethrin in terms of safety also.

Products which contain Permethrin legally have to include a warning regarding the rather common frequency of side effects in rats and mice and so on, as below:

Most anti-parasitic agents have the potential to be lethal when the dose is too large because they work by attacking the parasite's nervous system and this can affect the host animal also. They all need to be used with extreme care, and mathematical workings out should always be double checked as opposed to a `sprinkle` or so on.
I mentioned no active ingredient but since youve move donto the subject youve got that part wrong as the int eh one i use is Bendiocarb which if absorbed through the skin in excreted in urine.

If i didnt do my research on it i wouldnt be using it, i have had no deaths while using it nor have i had mites or any other parasites for that matter, the mice are just subjected to the dust while mixing it with the bedding as i do it outside of the shed and wai tof rit to settle before putting mice back.

Ive had litters born time and time again with no ill affects too and my litters are improving in size and amount due to not having mites breeding my my shed and coming through the hay as my shed is heated and would be the perfect place for mites to breed, and yet i dont have them.

I also use Ivermectin drops too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all ive given him a new feed dish so he can sleep in the other one and he seems quite happy in there off the ground. He's going to the vets in the morning tho, so i'll get him sorted out. Still not sure how he's picked them up tho, any ideas? Will the other mice be infected too? they all seem ok no over scratching or anything and there in separate cages. Thanks

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Apparently all mice have mites, when their immunity is compramised through illness, old age, injury etc then the mites can increase in numbers till they become a problem, I had three not very well bred mice who regullarly got an outbreak of mites and the vet often found that they were starting with a respiratory infection at the same time so had to be treated for that as well. It would be a good idea to let your vet do a health check as well as treating the mites.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
benny has died from his horrible infection, he over the night an days had scratched himself but sunday it was he had made his side bold with an open wound , wosre then his ears or his shoulders, he was in healthy condition clean tank water food, but i didnt know about mites or lice, thanks every one who helped me try an solve this problem, rest in peace benny boy youll be missed

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Apparently all mice have mites, when their immunity is compramised through illness, old age, injury etc then the mites can increase in numbers till they become a problem, I had three not very well bred mice who regullarly got an outbreak of mites and the vet often found that they were starting with a respiratory infection at the same time so had to be treated for that as well. It would be a good idea to let your vet do a health check as well as treating the mites.
Im glad you have put that tdm.. Cause i took my two old men the vets and she said before she condems them she wanted to treat them for mites.. You can't see them my mice coats arnt great but obvioulsy we have no age on them.. She agreed that Ben is very shaky and stiff but mites can do this.. So I have to take em back to check there progress... My mice arnt scratty either so I guess we will see how the old chaps go.. xxx

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
benny has died from his horrible infection, he over the night an days had scratched himself but sunday it was he had made his side bold with an open wound , wosre then his ears or his shoulders, he was in healthy condition clean tank water food, but i didnt know about mites or lice, thanks every one who helped me try an solve this problem, rest in peace benny boy youll be missed
Ah sorry about Benny..

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
:crying: Sorry to hear about your loss :cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.