UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was hoping you all could help with some advice.

My family re-homed 2 brilliant 2 year old cats from someone who was moving house.
The previous owner told us she would contact the microchip company and tell them about the transfer of ownership. 2 months on we have received nothing from any microchip companies and the previous owner has now moved so we have no way of contacting her.

we are now concerned that if we go to a vet for anything they are going to scan the cats and see that according to the database someone else owns them and the details stored will be invalid.

Is it possible to find which company runs a microchip and convince them without evidence that we now own the cats? or can you simply re-microchip with a new date/details?

Anyone else dealt with something similar? Advice?

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Hi not too sure what you can do sounds like your in a right pickle..
Wouldn't the chip have a contact number for the last owners so they can sort it out xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm aware the vet can scan them and try to contact the past owner however they have now moved and the mobile number i had when i adopted them doesn't work (obviously a landline is out as they moved)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I've never had any involvement of this or knowledge but I would imagine the vet could scan the cats bring up the old owners details - (which now may be wrong) and if they try to contact the old owners and they are un contactable.. the details can then be changed?

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Over here if the old owner can't be contacted a stat dec is filled out, the microchip registry then try to contact the owner with the details on file they have a certain amount of time to respond then the chip is just transferred over.

You will need to visit the vets to get the chip number, if they don't have contact details on file you can look up each registry and put the chip number in online to see who it's registered with.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I believe there is a period of time (let's say 3 months) that if after contacting the previous owners you can change the details (as they have effectively "abandoned" the cat).

You would need to check this with the company though.

Good luck

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
you can re-microchip a cat and the details of whichever microchip will come up. if there is no answer to one telephone number the other will be called.
the vet can put notes on petlog that the cat is microchipped twice, so thats not a problem.
i think you can also change the existing microchip number to your address, just write to petlog and they will update the system, cost £10 i think and as you would already have vet records of you being the owner of the cat petlog only need to confirm with the vet that you own the cat in question.
it shouldnt be a difficult process as rescue homes do this all the time.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.